While the Internet may feel like a vast space of easy information, Instagram is a platform that should feel like a safer space where you can express yourself and connect with family and friends.
However, Instagram often becomes a stressful space, mostly because of fre-enemies, bosses, exes, and nosy relatives.
Therefore, establishing boundaries can become quite an awkward situation. In these cases, you can learn how do you block someone on Instagram.
Blocking someone on Instagram is considered the final frontier with another IG user.
Yes, you can choose to unblock them later; however, they will not be able to access your IG account.
When you block an Instagram user, they will not be notified in any way mentioning that you have blocked them.
But, if they have another account, then they will know that you have blocked their original Instagram profile.
In this article, we will look into ways of learning how do you block someone on Instagram.
How Do You Block Someone On Instagram?
As mentioned before, if you do not want anyone to see your Instagram account, you can choose to block that particular user.
Once the person is blocked from your Instagram account, they will not be able to view your Instagram story, posts, and profile.
While they will not be notified that they have been blocked, they can easily find out using a few simple methods.
First, let us learn how you can block a user on the Instagram mobile application:
- You first need to download the official Instagram mobile application on your Android or iOS device.
- Next, look for the profile of the IG user that you want to block. You can do this using the search function or tapping their username on your list of followers or anywhere on the app.
- Navigate to the upper-right corner of the app and tap on the three dots (Menu option) and then click on the Block option.
- You will see a confirmation box that explains what happens once the account has been blocked. Click on the Block option to proceed.
- Once done, the IG account will be blocked. Click on the Dismiss option to complete the process.
You can also block an IG account via your Instagram web version.
However, the difference between the mobile app in this aspect is that you can block only one account by the user.
This means that if the user has different IG accounts, you will not be able to block them.
Now, let us look into how you can block an IG account using the Instagram web version:
- Open your web browser and head over to the Instagram website. Next, head to the profile that you want to block and tap on the three dots (Menu option).
- Next, you need to click on the Block option that appears on the pop-up menu.
- You will see a confirmation box; here, you need to tap on the Block option.
- Once done, the account will be blocked from accessing your IG profile.
With the help of the steps mentioned above, you will be able to browse through your Instagram account without having to worry about the blocked user.
However, these methods will only help you block the user from Instagram. They will not be blocked on other apps owned by Meta like Facebook and WhatsApp.
What Is The Difference Between Blocking And Restricting IG Accounts?
Blocking an IG user is considered the way to go if you want more control over your engagement on the app.
However, things can go awkward if you have blocked a person that you know in real life; this is because they will know that you have blocked them.
Thankfully, Instagram offers a Restrict feature that can help you stay clear of such situations.
As we know, blocking is a way to prevent an IG user from interacting with you and/or your posts. Additionally, the person will also not be able to send you a message.
On the other hand, restricting an IG profile will help you avoid unwanted interactions without alerting them that they have been restricted.
This concept was introduced as an anti-bullying feature. With the Restrict option, you get more control over how the person views your profile.
Restricting a user is very different from blocking. When an IG user gets restricted, it means that their messages and comments will be hidden from your Instagram profile.
While the user will not be able to interact with you as done normally, they will not realize that their profiles have been restricted by you.
This feature is particularly useful when it comes to dealing with repeat bullies that keep leaving negative comments on your posts or send you harassing DMs.
The Restrict feature can be considered a soft-block version of the block feature; while the capabilities are quite similar, restricting is a bit more limited than blocking.
What Is Muting On Instagram?
Apart from Restrict, you can also Mute profiles on Instagram. This feature will help you mute a user that shares irrelevant content or overposts.
In this way, you will not have to block, restrict, or unfollow the user. Once the person is muted, you will not see any videos or photos they share.
Muting is almost similar to the Restrict feature. However, the muted profile will still be able to view your content and send you messages.
How Do You Check If Someone Has Blocked You On Instagram?
As mentioned before, Instagram does not notify users when you block them. If you suspect that someone has blocked you, there are some methods available to check the same.
Yes, there are also third-party tools available to help you check if someone has blocked you. However, these tools seldom work.
All you need to do is follow some very basic steps to help you find whether someone has blocked you on Instagram; they are:
- Head to the Search Bar on the Instagram app and head to the Explore page.
- Type in the name of the IG account that you suspect has blocked you; if you cannot find the user, it is likely that you have been blocked.
Of course, this may also mean that the person has deleted/deactivated their account. However, you can make sure by checking your old Instagram DM conversations or old comments.
If you happen to find the profile, you simply need to tap on their Profile icon or their Instagram handle; this will open their IG profile.
If you see a message on the screen – This Account Is Private – it means that the user has made their profile private and has removed your account as a follower.
In such cases, your only option here is to talk to them and get back into their good graces.
Another way to check whether you have been blocked on Instagram is to visit the person’s account on the Instagram web version.
If you remember their Instagram handle, you can add it at the end of Instagram. com/(their username).
On the other hand, if the Instagram page does not exist, it means that the account has either been deleted or you have been blocked.
In case you see this message, you can try logging out. If the profile becomes visible after logging out, it means that the user has blocked your IG account.
A thing you need to remember here is that Instagram may force you to log into your account to view the page. If this happens, it is suggested that you use the browser’s Incognito Mode.
Yes, one piece of information may simply not be enough to let you know whether your account has been blocked or not.
However, if you follow all the steps mentioned in this section, you will definitely know whether your account has been blocked or not.
How Can You Unblock An IG User?
If you decide that you no longer want to keep a particular account blocked, you can unblock them.
Instagram maintains a list of users that you have blocked. This is available for both Android and iOS devices. You can unblock the users from here.
The steps to do so include:
- Head over to your IG Profile page. Click on the Menu option (three dots) and then tap on the Settings option.
- Click on the Privacy option and then on Blocked Accounts.
- Tap on the profile that you wish to unblock. You will be redirected to their profile.
- Click on the Unblock option located just below their profile picture and username.
After the account has been unblocked, the user will be able to:
- Find your account on the Instagram search bar
- Will be able to view your stories and posts again
- Will be able to follow your IG account
- Send you private messages
Similar to blocking, the user will not be notified when you unblock them.
Why Cannot You Unblock An IG User?
At times, you may not be able to view the profile of an IG account that you have blocked. If you cannot see these profiles, then you will not be able to unblock them.
In most cases, it likely means that those accounts have also blocked you.
These two-way blocks are not easy to fix. This is because neither profile will be able to find the other using the Search filter. However, there are a few fixes available.
We will look into using Direct Messages, which is the easiest method available:
- Open the Instagram mobile application and click on the paper airplane icon; this will open the Direct Messages.
- Navigate to the top-right corner of the screen and tap on the pencil icon; this will create a new IG Direct Message.
- Type in the name of the IG user and send them a message. Do not worry – they will not receive them.
- Tap on the information button and click on the Unblock option.
As you can see, blocking someone on Instagram is very easy and quick. Also, you can unblock them just as easily.
If you know any other method that can help you learn how to block someone on Instagram, let us know in the comment section.