Facebook Messenger has come a long way since its launch in 2011 when it was exclusively a feature used via browser from your laptop or desktop.
Today, it’s an app you can use independently from your phone or through your desktop or browser.
When it was first launched, Messenger drew a lot of attention and many users.
Let’s find out how many people use Facebook Messenger now.
- 1 Key Facebook Messenger Statistics
- 2 How Many People Use Facebook Messenger in 2024?
- 3 Facebook Messenger Users by Country
- 4 Facebook Messenger Users by Region
- 5 What is Facebook Messenger’s Global Rank Among Social Media Sites?
- 6 Facebook Messenger Users by Age
- 7 How Many Global Businesses Use Facebook Messenger?
- 8 Why Do So Many Businesses in the World Use Facebook Messenger?
- 9 Conclusion
- 10 Sources
Key Facebook Messenger Statistics
- As of January 2023, Facebook Messenger has over 931 million monthly active users.
- Facebook Messenger users decreased from 1.3 billion to 931 million between 2021 and 2023.
- Facebook Messenger ranked 9th by average monthly active users in 2022.
- It has been downloaded over 5 billion times on the Google Play Store since its launch.
- Android users spend an average of 3 hours and 7 minutes per month on the platform.
- Of all active social media users between 16 and 64 years old, only 2.6% said their favorite social media platform is Facebook Messenger.
How Many People Use Facebook Messenger in 2024?
As of January 2023, Facebook Messenger has over 931 million monthly active users, according to the Global Overview Report 2022.
Data Reportal showed that in 2021, Facebook Messenger had 1.3 billion users.
In March 2023, a reported 183 million Facebook Messenger users live in the United States.
Google Play shows that there have been over 5 billion Android downloads of Facebook Messenger.
Facebook Messenger Android users spend an average of 3 hours and 7 minutes per month on the Facebook app platform. Global Facebook Messenger Android users spend an average of 3.1 hours per month on the app.
Facebook Messenger Users by Country
This is 2023 data that comes from Data Reportal and is based on audience reach numbers that is published by Facebook.
- India: Approximately 117.6 million active users.
- Brazil: Approximately 62.1 million active users.
- Mexico: Approximately 57.8 million active users.
- Vietnam: Approximately 52.7 million active users.
- Philippines: Approximately 52 million active users.
- Thailand: Approximately 35.1 million active users.
- Egypt: Approximately 33 million active users.
- Indonesia: Approximately 27.3 million active users.
- United Kingdom: Approximately 26.7 million active users.
- Columbia: Approximately 20.5 million active users.
Facebook Messenger Users by Region
Because of the lack of ad formats that are available in Australia, the United States, France, and Canada, we have found the data for users per region.
- North America: 752,000
- Central America: 73.2 million
- Caribbean: 7.5 million
- Southern America: 137.6 million
- Western Europe: 28.1 million
- Eastern Europe: 45.9 million
- Northern Europe: 44 million
- Southern Europe: 43.7 million
- Western Africa: 9.8 million
- Eastern Africa: 8.9 million
- Northern Africa: 63.4 million
- Southern Africa: 5.7 million
- Middle Africa: 3.1 million
- Western Asia: 62.8 million
- Eastern Asia: 24.8 million
- Southern Asia: 165 million
- Southeastern Asia: 201.2 million
- Central Asia: 1.6 million
- Oceania: 4 million
What is Facebook Messenger’s Global Rank Among Social Media Sites?
Similarweb’s 2023 blog shows that Facebook Messenger ranks number two, maintaining its rank from 2022, though it ranks number one in 16 out of 100 countries, but overall, it ranks at.
WhatsApp, a Facebook asset, has the number one spot (2022 and 2023).
The Global Overview Report for 2022 also cited that Facebook ranks at number 9 by average monthly active user in 2022.
Facebook Messenger Users by Age
Of all active social media users between 16 and 64 years old, 2.6% said their favorite social media platform is Facebook Messenger.
In the United States, the breakdown of Facebook Messenger users by age starts with 23.7% of people between 25 and 34. This data comes from Statista March 2023.
- 13 to 17: 1.2%
- 18 to 24: 10.4%
- 25 to 34: 23.7%
- 35 to 44: 20.6%
- 45 to 54: 16.6%
- 55 to 64: 13.9%
- 65-Plus: 13.5%
How Many Global Businesses Use Facebook Messenger?
According to Meta Foresight, Messenger is used by over 40 million firms located all over the world. Also, One of Facebook Messenger’s fastest growing formats includes ads that click to Facebook Messenger.
The article also says that 87% (more or less) of the global smartphone population sends and receives chats through a messaging app. Over 100 million messages are sent via Facebook products per day.
Why Do So Many Businesses in the World Use Facebook Messenger?
Messaging in general is a fast, simple, and effective way to communicate. First, sending messages via an app like Facebook Messenger is wildly popular all over the world.
According to our sources, messaging is also intuitive. It provides a quick, efficient, and reliable method with a natural feel and flow of conversations. It’s also flexible and convenient.
Moreover, Facebook Messengers delivers immediate messages and usually responses and is one of the easiest methods for businesses to appropriately scale their communications.
Overall, messaging is also personal and customizable to any audience.
Today, we have learned where Facebook Messenger stands among its competitors and other information that we otherwise wouldn’t consider without some research.
Messaging is a massively trendy way to communicate among friends, family, acquaintances, brands, and businesses.
Nearly one billion people use Facebook Messenger and over 40 million businesses.
We also noticed that Facebook Messenger users decreased from 1.3 billion to 931 million between 2021 and 2023.
It’s believed to be due to the launching or upgrading of other messaging apps and developments like WhatsApp (a Facebook holding), Telegram, Signal, Viber, and even Skype.
We think you should be on the lookout for new features and upgrades that will make Facebook Messenger more intuitive and useful soon.
We hope you have enjoyed reading this article about how many people use Facebook Messenger and that you have learned something interesting and new to you.