Since TikTok is widely used by marketers, it’s important for brands, marketers, influencers, and organizations to stay updated on TikTok users by country, age and other demographics for marketing and advertising purposes.
Did you know that since its launch in 2018 to countries outside of China, it has experienced over 3 billion downloads (data from 2021).
This is despite the fact that it was banned in India in 2020.
If you find that interesting, we have much more data about TikTok to share with you in this article.
We have done the research to bring our readers the most updated TikTok data related to how many users there are by country, penetration rates, age, gender, and other details you will need for creating a solid marketing strategy.
Without further ado, we will get right into the TikTok data you want and need.
- 1 Key Statistics
- 2 TikTok Users by Country 2023
- 2.1 1. TikTok has more than 1.677 billion global users as of 2023.
- 2.2 2. The United States has a share of 150 million TikTok users.
- 2.3 3. The Indonesian TikTok user market accounts for 113 million users.
- 2.4 4. In 2023, Brazil accounts for 84.13 million TikTok users.
- 2.5 5. Mexico has 62.44 million TikTok users in 2023.
- 2.6 6. TikTok has more than 1.1 billion MAUs (monthly active users)
- 2.7 7. 37.33% of TikTok’s global users are female.
- 2.8 8. 46% of TikTok’s global users are male.
- 2.9 9. The age group between 19 and 29 accounts for 35% of TikTok users.
- 2.10 10. TikTok’s Q1 2023 revenue accounted for $2.475 billion.
- 2.11 11. Saudi Arabia has the highest user penetration on TikTok at 110.7%
- 2.12 12. The UAE (United Arab Emirates) has a penetration rate of 107.7% in TikTok users.
- 2.13 13. 80.6% is the Malaysian TikTok user penetration rate.
- 2.14 14. Chile accounts for a TikTok user penetration rate of 76.1%
- 2.15 Bonus TikTok Users by Country Statistics
- 2.16 15. 51.2 million people use TikTok in Russia.
- 2.17 16. In Vietnam there are 50.6 million TikTok users.
- 2.18 17. 41.4 million TikTok users live in the Philippines.
- 2.19 18. Turkey accounts for 31.03 million TikTok users.
- 2.20 19. TikTok users all over the globe spend an average of 95 minutes on the app every day.
- 3 FAQs
- 4 Conclusion
- TikTok has more than 1.677 billion global users as of 2023.
- The United States has a share of 150 million TikTok users.
- The Indonesian TikTok user market accounts for 113 million users.
- In 2023, Brazil accounts for 84.13 million TikTok users.
- Mexico has 62.44 million TikTok users in 2023.
- TikTok has more than1.1 million MAUs (monthly active users)
- 53% of TikTok’s global users are female.
- 46% of TikTok’s global users are male.
- The age group between 19 and 29 accounts for 35% of TikTok users.
- TikTok’s Q1 2023 revenue accounted for $2.475 billion.
TikTok Users by Country 2023
1. TikTok has more than 1.677 billion global users as of 2023.
The most recent data available shows that there are over 1.677 global TikTok users in 2023.
Furthermore, 20.83% of global internet users are also TikTok users.
Of the 4.48 billion active social media platform/app users, 22.32% regularly use TikTok.
(Backlinko, Demand Sage)
Of the global TikTok users count of over 1.67 billion, 150 million are from the United States.
In fact, the United States currently has the largest market share in number of TikTok users, though Saudi Arabia has the highest penetration rate as you will learn later.
For comparison, the United States accounted for 116.49 Tok users in April 2023.
This number has growth since the Q1 of 2023.
(Backlinko, Demand Sage, Statista)
3. The Indonesian TikTok user market accounts for 113 million users.
In April 2023, Statista reported that Indonesia had 112.97 million users, making this country the second largest users after the United States.
Newer data tells us that there are now 113 million TikTok users in Indonesia in July 2023.
There has been minor growth in this market.
(Backlinko, CNBC, Demand Sage, Statista)
4. In 2023, Brazil accounts for 84.13 million TikTok users.
Brazil accounts for 84.13 million users of all TikTok global users as of July 2023.
This figure has remained the same since April 2023, according to statistics.
This doesn’t mean TikTok users are growing in Brazil.
This is just the latest data available for this country.
(Demand Sage, SignHouse)
5. Mexico has 62.44 million TikTok users in 2023.
Mexico is another country that still has the same amount of TikTok users as they did in April, which is 62.44 million.
If you’re marketing to people in Mexico or any country on this list, you need to know this figure is your audience size in terms of location.
(Backlinko, Demand Sage, Oberlo, Statista)
6. TikTok has more than 1.1 billion MAUs (monthly active users)
Out of TikTok’s 1.677 billion global users, roughly 1.1 billion falls into the monthly active users (MAUs) category.
That’s a significant percentage of total users using the TikTok app.
In fact, it’s nearly 66% of all TikTok’s users.
7. 37.33% of TikTok’s global users are female.
Of TikTok’s global users, 37.33 are female, which you will soon see is quite the large gender gap on a single social platform.
Let’s find out the percentage of male users.
Keep in mind these are TikTok users that identify as female.
8. 46% of TikTok’s global users are male.
On TikTok, there are 46% of its global users identifying as male.
This means there is a large gender cap when comparing this to the 37.33% of those who identify as female on the app.
9. The age group between 19 and 29 accounts for 35% of TikTok users.
Data shows that 35% of all TikTok users are aged 19 to 29, which is the largest age group on the platform.
More data shows that 30.31% are 18 to 24 and 31.51% are 25 to 34.
So, 61.82% of users are between 18 and 34.
The rest of the story is that 16.89% are 35 to 44, 10.46% are 45 to 54, 6.71% are 55 to 64, and only 4.11% are 65-plus.
(Demand Sage, Similarweb)
10. TikTok’s Q1 2023 revenue accounted for $2.475 billion.
TikTok’s last registered revenue came out for the first quarter of 2023, which came to $2.475 billion for the company.
As the user base grows, so does the revenue of the app.
In-app advertising plays a large role in this increase in revenue as does its market expansion.
11. Saudi Arabia has the highest user penetration on TikTok at 110.7%
In terms of penetration rate, Saudi Arabia wins that race with 110.7% of its population using TikTok.
That said, Saudi Arabia is number 10 in number of TikTok users at 28.37 million.
(Demand Sage, Oberlo)
12. The UAE (United Arab Emirates) has a penetration rate of 107.7% in TikTok users.
Second in penetration rates is the UAE, the United Arab Emirates with 107.7% TikTok users.
This accounts for only 4.27 million users of TikTok’s total users.
For reference, penetration rate is a measurement of the total number of connections divided by the country’s total population.
(Demand Sage, GMI)
13. 80.6% is the Malaysian TikTok user penetration rate.
Users from Malaysia account for an 80.6% penetration rate, but it has a total of 14 million users on the app.
According to statistics, Malaysian TikTok users are expected to grow to at least 21 million by 2027.
In Malaysia, TikTok male users account for 55.73% in terms of gender and 35.49% are aged 19 to 25 years old.
(Demand Sage, Statista 2)
14. Chile accounts for a TikTok user penetration rate of 76.1%
While Chile has a sizeable 76.1% TikTok penetration rate, the overall user number is just over 1.4 million users.
Also, male dominate on the platform at 63.1% compared to females at 36.9%, similar to the global figures.
A whopping 64.9% of Malaysian TikTok users are between 18 and 24 years old with only 0.05% being 55 and older.
For reference, Chile has a population of 18,952,038.
Bonus TikTok Users by Country Statistics
Here’s a few bonus statistics to further help you with your marketing.
15. 51.2 million people use TikTok in Russia.
Of those 18 and older, 51.2 million people in Russia use TikTok.
That accounts for roughly 3% of all global TikTok users.
When we put it into percentages against the total number of global TikTok users, it almost seems insignificant, but it’s not in sales and marketing terms.
16. In Vietnam there are 50.6 million TikTok users.
Vietnam accounts for 50.6 million TikTok users 18 and older.
All these TikTok user numbers by country include only those who are 18 and older for marketing and advertising purposes.
Much like Russia, Vietnam accounts for around 3% of all TikTok users.
17. 41.4 million TikTok users live in the Philippines.
We found that 41.4 million TikTok users are from the Philippines.
The percentage is just under 0.25% of all TikTok users, which is an estimated 1.677 billion.
Moreover, other resources suggest that the advertising audience among TikTok users in the Philippines is 43.4 million, which is 37.3% of its total population.
(Inquirer, Oberlo, Statista)
18. Turkey accounts for 31.03 million TikTok users.
Turkey maintains the 9th ranking for number of global TikTok users with 31.03 million.
In percentage that would be around 2% (more or less) of the total TikTok user population.
Turkey has been experiencing substantial growth in TikTok users.
19. TikTok users all over the globe spend an average of 95 minutes on the app every day.
Our sources revealed that TikTok users across the world are using the app an average of 95 minutes per day.
That’s over an hour and a half on just one mobile app!
Moreover, the data showed that TikTok users are spending 23.5 hours more on the app than they are on other social media apps.
This usage has risen from 27.4 minutes per day in 2019 to 95 minutes per day in 2023.
What is TikTok?
TikTok is a short-form video social platform from ByteDance that was launched in 2016 in China and 2018 outside the country.
This platform is designed for users to create short videos ranging from 3 to 10 minutes in length.
TikTok users share their short videos across users in categories like education, music, comedy skits, memes, and other video content.
Marketers use TikTok as part of their social media marketing strategy.
Is there an age restriction on TikTok?
According to TikTok, you must be at least 13 years old to use the platform.
That said, TikTok doesn’t use an age verification tool for new users.
Also, TikTok says it doesn’t allow younger people to use their age-restricted features.
How do I create a TikTok account?
If you want to create your own TikTok account, here are the steps to take:
1. Download the TikTok app (if you haven’t already).
2. Open the app.
3. Tap on the profile icon at the bottom right corner of the display screen.
4. Choose, “Sign up with phone or email. You can use your Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, or your Google account to create your TikTok profile. However, it’s recommended that you sign up with your email or phone number.
5. Input your birthdate information (not public)
6. Input your email and phone number.
7. Set your password (make it secure).
8. Now you have a TikTok account.
How can I make money on TikTok?
If you choose to be a TikTok creator, you can make money from brands or sponsorships.
Likewise, you can sell your own products, services, or other merchandise on the platform.
Finally, you can become an influencer and charge brands money for promoting their products.
How much do TikTok influencers make?
Just like YouTube and Instagram, there is no short answer to this question, but we’ll keep it as brief as possible.
Two factors that impact how much money an influencer on TikTok makes is the size of their account and the level of their influence.
Here are some examples:
1. Nano-Influencers have a followers count of 10,000 or less. They can make an average of between $5 and $10 for each post they share for brands/sponsors.
2. Micro-Influencers are TikTok creators with between 10,000 and 100,000 followers. They can average between $60 and $90 for a post.
3. Mid-Tier Influencers are creators with 100,000 to 500,000 followers. They can make an average of $200 to $400 per TikTok post.
4. Macro-Influencers have 500,000 to 1 million followers and can make an average of $400 to $600 per post.
5. Mega-Influencers are creators with over 1 million followers. At this level they can make an average of $1,000 to $500,000 per TikTok post.
Like other creators, influencers at every level can also make money from their own merchandise and other methods of earning on TikTok.
So, now we know more about who uses TikTok and where.
This kind of data helps you improve or update your marketing plans for social media.
It’s also simply good information to have when you’re a curious sort.
Additionally, we shared some frequently asked questions with you to address what TikTok is, age restrictions, how to open an account, and even how to make money and how much can be made on the platform on average.
We hope you have enjoyed reading this article about TikTok users by country and that you find it a valuable resource as you’re updating your marketing strategies.