Let’s face it. If you aren’t utilizing social media marketing, you’re not going to get the exposure you need to be successful in business in most instances.
We researched social media marketing statistics to help you better understand the importance of social platforms and reaching your unique audience.
Every business should have a presence on at least one social media platform these days.
Your industry/niche is one of the elements that determine your audience, so it’s important to know which social platform is going to work the best for your efforts.
You can market across several social media platforms, but one or two will likely always perform better.
That’s part of the numbers game that is marketing.
Numbers like how many followers/fans you have, how many views you get on videos and other content posts, and the numbers that measure your marketing performance.
Let’s explore social media marketing and learn more about how it all works.
- 1 Key Statistics
- 2 Top Social Media Marketing Statistics in 2023
- 2.1 1. 93% of Marketers Using Social Media Marketing Methods Say that They Have Boosted Exposure.
- 2.2 2. It’s Estimated that In 2023 There Will Be 4.89 Billion Global Social Media Users.
- 2.3 3. Facebook Consists of Nearly 30% of People Aged 25 to 34.
- 2.4 4. Instagram’s Largest Audience Is Aged 18 to 24.
- 2.5 5. TikTok Has at Least 834.3 Million Active Users.
- 2.6 6. YouTube Has 2.1 Billion Global Users.
- 2.7 7. Social Media Ad Spending Is Expected to Generate Over $130 Billion via Mobile by 2027.
- 2.8 8. 90% of Global Marketers Use Facebook the Most.
- 2.9 9. Instagram Has an Engagement Rate that Is 4x Higher than Facebook.
- 2.10 10. Almost 80% of TikTok Users Are Seeking Entertaining or Fun Content.
- 2.11 11. Social Media Marketing Is Used by 77% of Businesses to Reach Their Audience.
- 2.12 12. 41% of Small Businesses Rely on Social Media to Drive Revenue.
- 2.13 13. 90% of Social Media Users Follow at Least One Brand.
- 2.14 14. On Average Social Media Ads Get a 1.21% Click-Through-Rate (CTR) as of 2022.
- 2.15 15. More than Three-Quarters of Social Media Users Have Bought Something They Found on Social Media.
- 2.16 16. 57.6% of Marketing Professionals Find that Social Media “Stories” Are Effective Advertising Content.
- 2.17 17. 62% of Social Media Marketers Engage in Social Listening.
- 2.18 18. 71% of All Sales Pros Use Social Selling Tools.
- 2.19 19. Over 90% of Surveyed Decision Makers Said They Don’t Respond to Cold Calls at All.
- 2.20 20. 39% of B2B Experts Who Use Social Selling Say It Helped Them Reduce Their Contact Time.
- 3 FAQs
- 4 Conclusion
- 5 Sources
- 93% of marketers using social media marketing methods say that they have boosted exposure.
- It’s estimated that in 2023 there will be 4.89 billion global social media users.
- Facebook consists of nearly 30% of people aged 25 to 34.
- Instagram’s largest audience is aged 18 to 24.
- TikTok has at least 834.3 million active users.
- YouTube has 2.1 billion global users.
- Social media ad spending is expected to generate over $130 billion via mobile by 2027.
- 90% of global marketers use Facebook the most.
- Instagram has an engagement rate that is 4x higher than Facebook.
- Almost 80% of TikTok users are seeking entertaining or fun content.
Top Social Media Marketing Statistics in 2023
1. 93% of Marketers Using Social Media Marketing Methods Say that They Have Boosted Exposure.
Data shows that 93% of all marketers say that their efforts in social media marketing have gotten them more exposure for their businesses and brands.
Another 87% said that that social media marketing boosted their website traffic.
2. It’s Estimated that In 2023 There Will Be 4.89 Billion Global Social Media Users.
This data estimate of 4.89 billion global social media users is spread across the top seven most used social outlets.
These social channels include Facebook, YouTube, WhatsApp, Instagram, WeChat, TikTok, and Facebook Messenger.
(DataReportal, Social Sprout, Social Sprout²)
3. Facebook Consists of Nearly 30% of People Aged 25 to 34.
The largest age demographic of Facebook users falls between 25 and 34 years old (29.9%).
Moreover, this platform is 56% male and 44% female.
It’s worth mentioning that Facebook is still the biggest social media platform used by marketers and consumers alike.
In fact, Facebook accounts for most of Meta’s ad revenue.
4. Instagram’s Largest Audience Is Aged 18 to 24.
Instagram’s largest audience in terms of age is the 18 to 24 demographic which has a share of 30.8% of its users.
If your products and services are geared toward this age demographic, Instagram is a good social platform to get started.
Instagram’s gender demographics shows that 51.8% identify as male and 48.2% identify as female out of between 1.3 and over 2 billion users.
5. TikTok Has at Least 834.3 Million Active Users.
It’s estimated that TikTok has between 834.3 million and over 1 billion total global users.
The largest share of its users is aged 18 to 24, which accounts for 21% of its total users.
In terms of gender, 46% identify as male and 54% identify as female.
In the United States alone, there are more than 150 million active TikTok users.
6. YouTube Has 2.1 Billion Global Users.
If you are into making video content, it’s important to know that you have an overall global potential audience of over 2 billion people.
The largest overall age group on YouTube ranges from 15 to 35 years old.
Gender-wise, 48.6% identify as male and 51.4% identify as female on YouTube.
YouTube Shorts has boosted YouTube’s usage.
7. Social Media Ad Spending Is Expected to Generate Over $130 Billion via Mobile by 2027.
Social media marketing is a competitive arena.
In fact, it’s estimated that it will generate a whopping $130.5 billion just from mobile devices by 2027.
Social media ad spending is forecast to achieve $207.10 billion in 2023.
The CAGR is projected to represent 4.53% or more over the next four years.
8. 90% of Global Marketers Use Facebook the Most.
It’s wise to know that Facebook is the social platform most used by global marketers with a 90% share of marketers.
Instagram is second with a 79% share of marketers using the platform for marketing purposes.
People spend a lot of time on these platforms, but especially Facebook within its demographics.
9. Instagram Has an Engagement Rate that Is 4x Higher than Facebook.
Facebook and Instagram are the top two social media platforms used by marketers for good reasons.
That said, engagement rates on Instagram account for 4 times more than on Facebook.
Instagrams’ engagement rates are at 60% while Facebook’s are only 15%.
You need to know that this data is subject to fluctuations.
10. Almost 80% of TikTok Users Are Seeking Entertaining or Fun Content.
TikTok is considered an entertaining and fun social media platform where people share their entertaining short-form videos.
Therefore, marketers and brands need to cater to what TikTok users want to see the most.
After all, 78.9% of them are seeking fun and entertaining content.
11. Social Media Marketing Is Used by 77% of Businesses to Reach Their Audience.
If you own a business and you’re reading this data, it’s important to note that 77% of businesses are using social media to reach out to their customer base.
Most businesses today strive to keep up with technology so they can leverage its powerful and efficient results.
Moreover, 44% of businesses use social media for building awareness of their brand.
12. 41% of Small Businesses Rely on Social Media to Drive Revenue.
Just over two-fifths of small businesses (41%) rely heavily on social media marketing to drive website traffic and revenue.
We already know that social media, especially Instagram, has a strong conversion rate.
Small businesses are taking advantage of that fact by leveraging social media marketing.
13. 90% of Social Media Users Follow at Least One Brand.
Something significant as a marketer, brand, or business that you need to know is that 90% of social users follow at least one brand.
Moreover, if they follow the brand on one social outlet, they are likely to follow it across the social accounts they maintain.
Social media does deliver powerful brand exposure.
14. On Average Social Media Ads Get a 1.21% Click-Through-Rate (CTR) as of 2022.
Statistics from 2022 revealed that social media advertisements average a 1.21% CTR, which represented a small decline over 2021 when that was 1.3%.
Even in the wake of this data, social media still engages the world’s population.
Your job is to create engaging and appealing content for your target audience.
15. More than Three-Quarters of Social Media Users Have Bought Something They Found on Social Media.
The fact that 76% of social media users bought something they saw on a social media platform/app should convince you about the power of driving traffic this kind of marketing can have on your revenues.
Furthermore, 11% of these social media users were compelled to buy right away, while 44% chose to defer payments.
Also, 21% preferred to find it at a store to buy it there.
16. 57.6% of Marketing Professionals Find that Social Media “Stories” Are Effective Advertising Content.
Data shows that 57.6% of marketers who advertise on social media said that the “stories” style content to be either somewhat or very effective for business.
The breakdown shows that 22.6% found “stories” content to be very effective while 35% found stories to be somewhat effective.
17. 62% of Social Media Marketers Engage in Social Listening.
Data from HubSpot revealed that in 2021 62% of social media marketers were using the social listening tactic to help them build relationships online.
This method of social media marketing is known to drive brand loyalty over time.
Furthermore, 48% of social media marketers and 46% of social media marketers engaged in hashtag usage and live video content.
(HubSpot 2021 Report)
18. 71% of All Sales Pros Use Social Selling Tools.
A massive 71% of top sales professionals are using social selling tools as part of their marketing strategy.
These tools include Buffer, Hootsuite, Nimble, LinkedIn Sales, etc.
Another 90% of top salespeople also use social selling tools.
Plus, 63% of Millennials who use social selling tools say it’s essential for their business. In fact, 78% of Millennials are using social selling tools.
19. Over 90% of Surveyed Decision Makers Said They Don’t Respond to Cold Calls at All.
Cold calling is no longer something many marketers use these days. At one time, cold calling was a must-have marketing tool.
However, most people simply don’t respond to cold calling nowadays.
In fact, the survey showed that this group said they never respond to cold calls.
Therefore, social media and other forms of advertising are more likely to get a response.
20. 39% of B2B Experts Who Use Social Selling Say It Helped Them Reduce Their Contact Time.
In the Business-To-Business sector, 39% of B2B professionals say that social selling helped them to reduce contact time, while 31% said it also helped them to build more meaningful, deeper client relationships.
Furthermore, 33% claimed social selling helped them to boost their leads and 24% said it enhanced their conversion rate.
What Are Some Benefits of Social Media Marketing?
We researched social media marketing and its benefits.
Here are our findings:
• Brand awareness boost
• Lead generation
• Website traffic generation
• Sales increase
• Customer relationship building
• Customer service delivery
• Effective measurements of marketing campaigns
Are There Different Types of Social Media Marketing?
The short answer is yes, there are a few unique types of social media marketing, which include:
• Organic: Organic social media marketing is free. This is the content you create and share on social media without advertising fees. The hope is that your followers/fans will also share your content.
• Paid: Paid advertising is designed to reach out to your specified target audience, and you do pay for that service.
• Influencer: Influencer social media marketing involves partnering with a popular social influencer who will review and spark conversations about your brands, products, services, or the entire industry.
• Analytics: Social media analytics is the process of gathering and analyzing your data related to social media marketing performance.
How Can You Create a Successful Social Media Marketing Strategy?
We also researched this topic, and these tips are our findings:
• Set clear and realistic goals for your social strategy.
• Define your specific target audience.
• Select the appropriate social platforms for your business and your audience.
• Create meaningful and high-quality content that appeals to your audience.
• Consistently post and engage with your audience.
• Monitor, track, and analyze your performance.
Something you should take away from all these statistics is that social media is changing the face of retail and how people make buying decisions today.
Based on that factor, how does that change your point of view regarding social media marketing for your brand or business?
We’ve learned how social selling, social advertising, and social marketing have powerful and positive impact on brands and businesses all over the world.
Knowing this, how will you proceed with your social media marketing strategies?
Besides the facts and figures of social media marketing, you also now have some tips and ideas to use for brainstorming an updated or revised social media marketing strategy.
Things that matter:
- B2C versus B2B business
- Use of multiple social platforms and marketing options
This is a small list of things that matter when you’re creating a powerful and successful social media marketing strategy.
We hope you have found value in these social media marketing statistics and that you will apply them to your own business marketing strategies.