Contrary to what you may believe or have been told, blogging isn’t a dead artform.
In this article, we will answer the question of how many blogs are there in the world?
Currently, there are millions of blogs hosted and regularly updated from all over the world that inform, engage, and otherwise entertain readers.
Blog platforms commonly offer free and paid versions of their platforms to use for a variety of purposes.
Some platforms that provide bloggers with a way to reach their intended audience include Blogger, WordPress, Tumblr, Medium, Weebly, LiveJournal, Wix, and others.
We will discuss how many blogs are online today along with other facts and data about blogs, blogging, etc. Let’s explore blogs and blogging.
- 1 Key Blogs Statistics
- 2 How Many Blogs are There in the World in 2023?
- 2.1 1. Recent data shows that the world has over 600 million online blogs.
- 2.2 2. In 2020, there were an estimated 31.7 million bloggers in the United States alone.
- 2.3 3. Tumblr has 518 active blogs, making it the most-used platform.
- 2.4 4. WordPress experiences around 70 million blog posts per month.
- 2.5 5. 77% of online users read blog content.
- 2.6 6. Over 2.5 billion blog posts are published annually.
- 2.7 7. More than 40% of bloggers today use WordPress CMS software.
- 2.8 8. 33% of bloggers don’t make money.
- 2.9 9. During the pandemic, 46.50% of bloggers have written more content.
- 2.10 10. The average blog post ranges from 1,760 to 2,400 words.
- 3 FAQs
- 4 Conclusion
Key Blogs Statistics
- Recent data shows that the world has over 600 million online blogs.
- There are an estimated 31.7 million bloggers in the United States alone.
- Tumblr has 518 active blogs, making it the most-used platform.
- WordPress experiences around 70 million blog posts per month.
- 77% of online users read content on blogs.
- Over 2.5 billion blog posts are published annually.
- More than 40% of bloggers today use WordPress CMS software.
- 33% of bloggers don’t make money.
- During the pandemic, 46.50% of bloggers have written more content.
- The average blog post ranges from 1,760 to 2,400 words.
How Many Blogs are There in the World in 2023?
1. Recent data shows that the world has over 600 million online blogs.
According to recent 2023 data, it’s estimated that there are over 600 million blogs across the globe.
This data reveals that blogs account for over one-third of all websites online today.
Hosting can include platforms like Blogger, WordPress, LiveJournal, Tumblr, etc.
The number of blogs we see today shows a growth of 12% in comparison to the figures from 2015.
2. In 2020, there were an estimated 31.7 million bloggers in the United States alone.
In the United States alone, there were an estimated 31.7 million bloggers in existence.
For reference, bloggers are the teams, marketers, or individuals that own and operate a blog.
Bloggers can own and maintain multiple blogs which is why we see more blogs than bloggers online.
3. Tumblr has 518 active blogs, making it the most-used platform.
Tumblr is categorized as a “micro-blogging” platform used for sharing content like images, music, and videos.
People also share quotes, GIFS, text content, and links on the platform.
Tumblr is so popular that it boasts the most blogs online today at 518 blogs.
It’s one of the largest and its users say it is one of the best blogging platforms today.
4. WordPress experiences around 70 million blog posts per month.
Recent WordPress statistics reported that this blogging platform experiences roughly 70 million newly written blog posts each month on average.
If you’re a blogger, you already know that blogging is a fiercely competitive business.
If you’re considering blogging, you need to learn how to make your blog unique enough to stand out from the rest.
5. 77% of online users read blog content.
According to our sources, 77% (over three-quarters) of internet users read blog content.
In the United Kingdom alone, 26% of individuals aged 5 to 18 read blogs.
If you plan to start a money-making blog, you need to understand your audience and why they read blog posts.
For instance, blog readers are looking for new information, entertainment, advice and answers, trending topics, news, and more.
6. Over 2.5 billion blog posts are published annually.
Statistics show that over 2.5 billion blog posts are published annually across the globe.
That figure represents an average of 6.6912 million blog posts every day and over 4,800 each minute.
If this says anything about blogging it’s that it’s alive, well, and thriving today.
7. More than 40% of bloggers today use WordPress CMS software.
CMS stands for content management system in the digital world.
The WordPress CMS software version is used by 40% of bloggers today.
Whether bloggers are using their blogs to make money or just to inform their readers, a significant percentage are using WordPress CMS software, which means there’s something to that platform.
(First Site Guide)
8. 33% of bloggers don’t make money.
Recent data revealed that 33% (one-third) of all bloggers don’t make any money.
That said, we should realize that not every blogger is sharing content to make money.
Some are just out there to show off their hobby or to show people how to do things without financial expectations.
Not all bloggers are out there intending to make money.
There are some that have no intention of earning money from their blog.
9. During the pandemic, 46.50% of bloggers have written more content.
In a recent study of over 1,000 bloggers, it was found that since the global pandemic, 46.50% of them are writing more posts.
Being home and having more time to do so is a likely contributor to this data.
10. The average blog post ranges from 1,760 to 2,400 words.
One of the factors to consider when starting a blog is to keep your readers engaged.
While images and videos help you do that, you must also remember to keep your word count within reasonable limits for reading.
Due to shorter attention spans, people want quick and easy information to read.
If you plan to compete with other bloggers, stick to the average word count range of between 1,760 and 2,400 words.
What is a Blog?
A blog is a website or web page that usually consists of unique content related to a specific industry or niche.
Blogging platforms are used for several purposes such as opinions, reviews, journaling, informative content, business promotions, etc.
If you can imagine it, you can write blog posts about it.
A lot of effort and upkeep goes into creating and maintaining a blog.
It’s common for bloggers to pay guest bloggers or other outsourced talent to build and maintain their blog content.
How Do You Start a Blog?
Starting a blog is simple enough since you just select a blogging platform, register for a domain name, and then pick the web hosting provider you want to make it live.
This is how you start a professional blog. You will be paying for services and features over starting a free blog that doesn’t offer you a way to have your own website URL.
After you finish the process of getting a blog started, the challenging work begins.
It takes time to build a following for a brand-new blog but blogging platforms do make it easier to publish them these days.
For instance, WordPress has several “plug-ins” you can use to create, monitor, track, and improve your SEO game for organic reach.
Can You Make Money from a Blog?
You can make money from a blog.
Remember some work must go into this, so expect to do a lot of writing and updating at least once per week to keep it alive and active enough to show up on the search engines.
Naturally, you can outsource the tedious tasks at a cost.
In this case, your budget will determine how much and how often you outsource content or help with your blog.
Also, consider your purpose for starting a blog before outsourcing talent.
Most commonly, you should be posting at least two to three times each week to keep your readers coming back for more.
Once you get started, they expect to see new content often.
Making money from a blog involves the following options:
1. Affiliate Marketing: Promote affiliate products and earn commissions from the sales you drive to the offer.
2. Display Advertising: Sell ad space to advertisers.
3. Sell Your Products or Services: Blogs have been known to increase brand and product awareness. Moreover, you can set up a blog to sell your services or products from the page.
4. Sponsored Content: You can also get paid to write blog posts for other businesses.
Now you know there are around 600 million blogs and over 31 million bloggers in the world today.
If you plan to start a blog, make sure to choose a unique niche and create unique and engaging quality content for your blog.
Blogging is a highly competitive ordeal that requires your time and effort to maintain.
You can get the competitive edge by using carefully chosen keywords that aren’t overused, but that get a lot of searches in the search engines.
It helps to use keyword and SEO tools if you’re serious about earning money from a blog.
While AI has its place for research and discovering new kinds of content for niches, people still want to read content written by the human hand.
Keep in mind that there is a sense of accomplishment that comes from taking the time and effort to build and maintain your blog.
If you don’t have that kind of time, you may consider outsourcing from platforms like Upwork or Fiverr to get help.
After reading this article, we hope you feel more well informed about blogs and blogging.
Hopefully, we have answered the question, “How many blogs are there in the world in 2023?” to your satisfaction.