Snapchat was the first ephemeral messaging app introduced to the social media world.
It didn’t take long for it to take the world by storm with its vibrant and engaged user base, mostly among the younger crowds.
Snapchat has innovative features, filters, and other fun functions that attract its younger database.
In this resource, we will explore some important Snapchat statistics, demographics, and FAQs for you.
- 1 Key Statistics
- 2 Top Snapchat Statistics in 2024
- 2.1 1. 406 million Snapchat users are active on the app daily.
- 2.2 2. Globally, most Snapchat users are aged 18 to 24.
- 2.3 3. India is the country with the most Snapchat users.
- 2.4 4. An average of over 5 billion Snaps are created each day.
- 2.5 5. As of April 2023, advertisers have an audience reach of over 650 million users on Snapchat.
- 2.6 6. In 2022, Snapchat generated $4.6 billion in revenue.
- 2.7 7. Snapchat is expected to reach 3.97 billion users by 2026.
- 2.8 8. 59% of users between 13 and 24 years old in the United States use Snapchat.
- 2.9 9. Snapchat+ has over 2 million paying subscribers as of 2022 (Q4).
- 2.10 10. 51% of all Snapchat users across the globe are female compared to 49% male users.
- 2.11 11. Approximately 8.2% of the global population uses Snapchat.
- 2.12 12. As of 2023, Europe has 94 million Snapchat users.
- 2.13 13. By 2026, it’s expected that almost 78% of Gen Z social media users will be using Snapchat.
- 2.14 14. 31 minutes per day are spent on the Snapchat app among its users.
- 2.15 15. Daily, an average of 14 billion Snapchat video views occur.
- 2.16 16. 300,000 AR developers and creators have built over 3 million augmented reality lenses.
- 2.17 17. Snapchat app downloads doubled in 2109 after new filters launched.
- 2.18 18. 82% of American teenagers use Snapchat at least monthly.
- 2.19 19. Snapchat’s valuation for 2023 was $18.3 billion.
- 2.20 20. Snapchat’s daily active users open the social media app over 20 times a day.
- 3 FAQs
- 4 Conclusion
- 406 million Snapchat users are active on the app daily.
- Globally, most Snapchat users are aged 18 to 24.
- India is the country with the most Snapchat users.
- An average of over 5 billion Snaps are created each day.
- As of April 2023, advertisers have an audience reach of over 650 million users on Snapchat.
- In 2022, Snapchat generated $4.6 billion in revenue.
- Snapchat is expected to reach 3.97 billion users by 2026.
- 59% of users between 13 and 24 years old in the United States use Snapchat.
- Snapchat+ has over 2 million paying subscribers as of 2022 (Q4).
- 51% of all Snapchat users across the globe are female compared to 49% male users.
Top Snapchat Statistics in 2024
1. 406 million Snapchat users are active on the app daily.
Statistics show that as of the Q3 of 2023, 406 million Snapchat users were actively using the app daily.
These are global figures and not exclusive to one region or country.
In the Q2 of 2023, there were 397 global daily active users on Snapchat, so it’s growing.
2. Globally, most Snapchat users are aged 18 to 24.
The global age group that uses Snapchat the most is those aged 18 to 24 as of January 2023.
Moreover, 20.5% of those who identify as male and are 18 to 24 years old use Snapchat of the 38.8%.
The percentage of those who identify as female accounted for 18.3% of this age group.
3. India is the country with the most Snapchat users.
India accounts for 182.35 million of the over 400 million users on Snapchat in the world.
The United States ranks second with 108.8 million users and Pakistan has 26.5 million Snapchat users.
The rest of the top 10 include France (25.9 million), United Kingdom (23.15 million), Saudi Arabia (21.75 million), Germany (18.65 million), Mexico (17.15 million), Iraq (16.75 million), and Egypt (15.65 million).
4. An average of over 5 billion Snaps are created each day.
If you wondered how popular this social media app is today, now you know.
An average of over 5 billion Snaps are shared per day on Snapchat across the world.
People are using the app to share things they are doing throughout the day because it’s easy and quick.
(The Social Shepherd)
5. As of April 2023, advertisers have an audience reach of over 650 million users on Snapchat.
Advertisers have an audience reach of more than 650 million Snapchat users as of April 2023.
Moreover, it’s ranked 8th in DataReportal’s “ranking of the world’s most active social media platforms”.
Additionally, data shows that the advertising self-service tool has been steadily growing in the past few months.
6. In 2022, Snapchat generated $4.6 billion in revenue.
Figures from 2022 reveal that Snapchat generated $4.6 billion in revenue, which represents a 12% rise YoY (year-on-year).
How does an app like Snapchat earn revenues?
Most of their revenue comes from ads, like most other social media platforms.
Snapchat offers Story Ads, Lenses Ads, and Discover Ads.
7. Snapchat is expected to reach 3.97 billion users by 2026.
Snapchat is growing in numbers, which this statistic shows us.
It’s predicted that by 2026, this app will have 3.97 billion users.
That will account for nearly half the global population.
In 2024, it’s expected to have 3.84 billion and by 2025, 3.91 billion.
8. 59% of users between 13 and 24 years old in the United States use Snapchat.
We know now that the United States ranks second in Snapchat user numbers.
However, among the 13-to-24-year-old generation, 59 of them use Snapchat.
That represents six in ten internet users aged 13 to 24 as of 2021.
Snapchat has outpaced Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter in terms of this younger generation of users.
9. Snapchat+ has over 2 million paying subscribers as of 2022 (Q4).
According to Snapchat’s investor report from the Q4 of 2022, this company had more than 2 million paying subscribers in its over 400 million global user databases.
Subscribers get exclusive access to more than 12 features across the app.
10. 51% of all Snapchat users across the globe are female compared to 49% male users.
There isn’t much of a gender gap on Snapchat with users who identify as male, or female are nearly equal.
Most of the users identify as female and account for 51% of the app’s global users.
As for the male demographic, they make up 49% of users.
(The Social Shepherd)
11. Approximately 8.2% of the global population uses Snapchat.
With over 400 million global users, 8.2% of the world’s population is now using Snapchat.
For an app that was launched in 2011, that’s not too shabby.
Did you know it launched in July 2011 as Picaboo and by September 2011, it was rebranded Snapchat?
12. As of 2023, Europe has 94 million Snapchat users.
As of the second quarter of 2023, Europe has 94 million Snapchat users.
For reference, 101 Snapchat users are in North American countries.
The rest of the world accounts for over 200 million Snapchat users in 2023.
With India having the most users by numbers.
This data is from 2019, so predictions may begin to differ in coming years, but as of now, it looks like
Snapchat will lose nearly 10% of its peak user base from 2021 and decline to 77.8%.
In 2021, 87.7% of Gen Zers were using Snapchat.
Since then, there has been some decline among Gen Z users.
14. 31 minutes per day are spent on the Snapchat app among its users.
Research shows that on average, Snapchat users spend 31 minutes a day using the app.
If you’re a marketer, you know it’s important to know not only how many people use social media apps, but how long they stay on those apps to create an effective social media marketing campaign.
15. Daily, an average of 14 billion Snapchat video views occur.
Professional marketers also need to know how video views on social media fare on the various platforms.
It’s one piece of data that helps to create better, stronger, and more effective social media marketing campaigns.
That said, 14 billion Snapchat video views occur every day.
16. 300,000 AR developers and creators have built over 3 million augmented reality lenses.
Snapchat has been heavily investing in their AR lenses as 300,000 developers and creators have built over 3 million augmented reality lenses over 2022.
The most recent release on Lens Studio offers earrings, wrist-wear, and garment try-ons.
(Snapchat Investor Relations)
17. Snapchat app downloads doubled in 2109 after new filters launched.
During the first quarter of 2019, Snapchat published some new lenses that went viral and doubled the downloads for the app.
There was one that made you look like a baby, one that made our skin look smoother, and one that swapped gender appearance for you.
In May 2019 alone, the Snapchat app experienced over 41 million downloads because of these new lenses.
(The Social Shepherd)
18. 82% of American teenagers use Snapchat at least monthly.
Recent data revealed that 82% of teenagers in America use Snapchat at least monthly.
Moreover, 36% of American teens from a Piper Sandler survey reported that Snapchat is their favorite social media platform.
19. Snapchat’s valuation for 2023 was $18.3 billion.
In 2017, Snapchat had a reported value of $25.5 billion (USD).
By 2019, its value had been lowered to $16.1 billion (USD).
In 2021, the company saw a 350% plus uptake to $90.9 billion (USD).
However, today, its valuation is at $18.3 billion (USD), which is a major decline.
Marketers also need usage statistics that go beyond how many users and how long they stay on the app.
It’s also important to know how many times users open an app each day.
On average, Snapchat users open this app over 20 times a day.
How does Snapchat work?
This ephemeral messaging app is based on creating “Snaps”.
To create a Snap, you can either take a photo or video, or you can upload one you already have on your phone.
Once you have created your Snap, you can add texts, lenses, and/or filters to it.
Then you can send it to one or more friends.
They can also add it to their Story, which is a collection of Snaps that they can view over a 24-hour period before they disappear.
What are the benefits of using Snapchat?
There are several benefits to using the Snapchat app such as:
1. It’s fun and easy to share photos and videos with your friends.
2. It’s more private since the nature of Snaps is that they disappear quickly after viewing.
3. Snapchat has AR (augmented reality) lenses you can use to create cool content.
4. It’s an effective and fun way to stay connected to family and friends no matter where you are.
What are the drawbacks to using Snapchat?
Just like anything we do nowadays, there are drawbacks that come along with benefits.
Here are some drawbacks of using Snapchat for your consideration:
1. It may be too easy to spend too much time on the app as it can become addictive.
2. Some of the AR lenses can be harmful to body image and can be unrealistic.
3. Snapchat has been criticized for its lack of privacy since Snaps can be screenshot or stored without permission or knowledge of the sender.
What are some features of Snapchat?
Here are some of the features you can use on Snapchat and a brief explanation of what they do.
1. Snaps are pictures or videos that disappear once they are viewed or saved for up to 24 hours.
2. Stories allow you to publicly view Snaps for up to 24 hours.
3. Chat is a text messaging function.
4. Lenses are AR filters that can be applied to your surroundings or face.
5. Bitmojis are customizable avatars you can use in chats and Snaps.
6. Discover is your curated feed of entertainment and news from across the globe.
What makes Snapchat so popular?
The ephemeral nature of Snapchat’s Snaps plays a major role in its overall popularity.
It makes sharing with friends and family more fun, less stressful, and more private.
Moreover, the features we mentioned like lenses and Bitmojis make sharing even more fun.
Why has Snapchat come under scrutiny lately?
Mostly Snapchat is a popular social media app known for its disappearing Snaps and creative features.
However, some people have scrutinized this platform lately for its handling of user privacy (or lack thereof) and its addictive nature.
One of the things you should take away from the data in this article is that the biggest portion of your audience on Snapchat is Gen Z with some Millennials mixed in there and a few Baby Boomers.
Not only do we now know how many users Snapchat has globally, regionally, and in certain countries, we also understand more about how often they use the app.
Furthermore, we have learned that age and location have a pivotal role in Snapchat usage.
The younger crowd tends to like the ephemeral nature of Snapchat, but also the convenience of using it on the go.
In fact, The Social Shepherd reported that 34% of Snapchat users use it more than any other social app when hanging out with their friends and family.
We hope you have enjoyed reading these Snapchat statistics.
More than that, we hope you have learned some new things about it before you use it.