The need to organize business tasks across departments, freelancers, contractors, business partners, employees, staff, executives, and other workers has grown since the global pandemic.
Businesses have always needed some organizational solutions to ensure regulatory compliance and a streamlined workflow.
Slack is a platform that can be used in-office or across virtual teams to organize workflow in any industry.
Slack was established in 2013, but it was made public by 2014 after it was tested for a year.
Slack became an instant success with 8,000 requests to use it from day one of its launch.
How many people use Slack today?
That’s the question we will address in this article along with some other data you need if you’re using or plan to use Slack.
- 1 Key Statistics
- 2 How Many People Use Slack in 2023?
- 2.1 1. Over 20 million people use Slack in 2023.
- 2.2 2. By 2025, Slack is expected to grow to over 42.7 million DAUs.
- 2.3 3. Slack experiences 1 billion minutes of usage daily.
- 2.4 4. Slack has over 3 million individual users with paid subscriptions.
- 2.5 5. Businesses with between 20 and 49 employees are using Slack the most.
- 2.6 6. As of the first quarter of 2022, Slack generated $273.4 million in revenue.
- 2.7 7. Slack has a retention rate of 90%.
- 3 How Many Companies Use Slack?
- 4 Conclusion
- In 2023, 20 million people actively use Slack.
- By 2025, Slack is expected to have 79 million active monthly users.
- Slack experiences one billion minutes of usage daily.
- In the first quarter of 2022, Slack generated $273.4 million (USD) in revenue.
- Over 3 million people are paying Slack customers.
- 65 of the top 100 Fortune companies say they use Slack daily.
- 9 hours are spent on average weekdays by users.
- Globally, 200,000 organizations use Slack (app).
- In 2021, Slack was bought by Salesforce for $27.7 billion (USD).
- 85% of Slack users say their business communications have improved.
- A company can boost their ROI by 340% by using Slack.
How Many People Use Slack in 2023?
Let’s look at how many people and businesses are using Slack as of this year and some data from earlier years for reference.
1. Over 20 million people use Slack in 2023.
According to DemandSage, “Slack was listed as a Unicorn startup” in 2014.
Slack has an estimated 20 million users and is used by hundreds of thousands of businesses across the globe.
Slack was acquired by Salesforce in 2021 for $27.7 billion (USD).
These users use the app/platform to communicate, engage in real-time conversations, and overall be more productive.
2. By 2025, Slack is expected to grow to over 42.7 million DAUs.
Data shows that experts estimated that Slack will have over 42.7 million daily active users (DAUs) by 2025.
Many believe this is because it’s easier to use than email in navigation and the app is readily accessible anytime to anyone registered to use it within an organization.
3. Slack experiences 1 billion minutes of usage daily.
Every day, Slack experiences an average of 1 billion minutes in usage.
This data is based on the average weekly usage of 90 minutes per day and 9 hours per week, per user.
This may or may not account for any weekend usage.
With over 42 million users and 750,000 global companies on the platform, this should come as no surprise.
4. Slack has over 3 million individual users with paid subscriptions.
In terms of paid users, Slack has a database of over 3 million users.
This figure is included in the overall user count of over 20 million users free or paid.
Paid Slack subscribers have access to an extensive set of features and services, while its free users have the basics.
Choosing to pay for it or use its free version depends on your needs.
5. Businesses with between 20 and 49 employees are using Slack the most.
In terms of who uses Slack the most, companies that have between 20 and 49 employees use it the most, with 123,981 users.
Companies with 0 to 9 employees come in second in usage with 102,248 users.
Companies with 50 to 99 employees use it the least with 35,492 users.
6. As of the first quarter of 2022, Slack generated $273.4 million in revenue.
Slack generated a whopping $273.4 million in revenue in 2022.
This figure represents a 36% YoY (year-over-year) increase.
For comparison, over 2021, Slack generated $902 million in revenue.
It was predicted that Slack would generate $1.5 billion for all of 2022.
Those figures are yet to be released.
7. Slack has a retention rate of 90%.
Slack doesn’t seem to have an issue with retention with a 90% retention rate.
This means that Slack retains its users.
That says a lot about the platform and its customer service and features.
How Many Companies Use Slack?
Let’s discuss how many companies are using Slack these days.
8. Over 750,000 organizations across industries use Slack.
Salesforce reported that over 750,000 companies of all sizes and across all industries are using Slack to be more productive in their workflow.
Slack allows organizations to engage teams, give clear and concise instructions, set goals and objectives, motivate and encourage team members, and more in this collaboration tool.
Another 85% of these companies say Slack has improved their communications.
9. 65 of the top Fortune 100 companies say they use Slack daily.
The Fortune 100 company list includes the top of the Fortune 500, which is an annual list that Fortune Magazine puts out each year.
A majority (65) of these top Fortune 100 companies use Slack for their business.
A few examples include Amazon, Airbnb, Pinterest, T-Mobile, Uber, Zendesk, and IBM.
Moreover, data shows that a company may boost their ROI by 340% by using Slack.
(Colorlib, DemandSage, Flamingo)
10. Slack is known to be able to pay for itself in under six months of usage.
Not only is Slack a popular collaboration and more platform, but it can also pay for itself within six months of usage.
If you’re thinking about paying for Slack’s extensive features, this is valuable information.
It all stems from how you use the platform, how often, and the size of your business and your budget.
Whether you use the free or one of the paid versions, Slack has a lot to offer.
What is Slack?
Salesforce says that Slack is a channel-based messaging platform that brings a company’s staff and tools together in one venue to be more productive no matter where they are at any given time.
Small businesses to large Fortune 100 companies are using Slack to connect teams and be more productive in today’s hectic business world.
How is Slack Being Used?
According to Salesforce, over 750,000 companies of all sizes and across all industries are using Slack to ensure how their tasks get done.
Slack is more than just a collaboration tool.
It’s also a way to scale up your business, improve organization, and is the only tool that can support up to 500,000 people for collaboration.
Is Slack Secure?
Slack offers a secure, enterprise-level online setting that allows businesses or anyone to customize their workflow.
Slack is secure so that companies and their staff members can securely communicate even confidential information in the system.
There are multiple layers of compliance and certifications that go into making Slack one of the most secure methods of communication and organization for organizations all over the globe.
Enterprise Key Management is one of the security features of the platform.
Slack is GDPR compliant, can be configured for use in the medical industry to include HIPAA and FINRA compliance.
Some of the compliance certifications include SOC 2, SOC 3, and ISO/IEC 27001 to name a few.
Salesforce says you can integrate your existing business security with Slack for further security system notifications and alerts if a threat is detected.
In other words, Slack’s security is sophisticated.
Now that you know how many people and companies are using Slack, will you change how you collaborate?
If you’re already one of the millions of Slack users, we hope you gained new insights to the platform.
We hope we answered the question of how many people use Slack in 2023 and other valuable data that you can apply to your business or life.