Have you heard of a satellite constellation that uses a low Earth orbit to deliver internet connectivity in different countries worldwide?
This satellite internet constellation is Starlink, developed by SpaceX.
Starlink is the first and largest broadband satellite internet that can support online activities like video calling, streaming, and online gaming.
SpaceX’s Starlink focuses on providing high-speed internet to remote or rural areas with limited internet infrastructure.
Let’s check out Starlink users by country.
- Starlink had over 250,000 users in 25 countries worldwide in February 2022.
- In February 2023, it delivered internet access to more than 1 million users in 47 countries worldwide.
- There were over 400,000 Starlink users in 32 countries in May 2022. It mainly covers North and South America and Europe.
- People in the United States are the first Starlink users since it was the first country to connect with Starlink.
- Starlink became operational in the UK on January 11, 2021.
- In Q1 2022, Starlink’s fastest median download speed was in Lithuania, at 160 Mbps.
- Starlink is set to deliver internet services in 23 African countries this year and 14 more countries next year.
- SpaceX deploys approximately 15,000 Starlink kits to Ukranians.
Starlink is one of the most advanced satellite constellations in the world that provides broadband internet to underserved areas.
It works by placing thousands of small satellites in low Earth orbit.
These small satellites communicate with each other and create a network that allows internet data to be transmitted.
What about the Starlink users by country?
According to some reports, Starlink recorded more than 250,000 users in 25 countries worldwide in February 2022.
Nearly 80% of Starlink users were in North America, including the US and Canada, while about 18% were in Europe, Australia, and New Zealand.
Only 2% were from the rest of the world.
As of February 2023, it delivers internet access to more than 1 million users in 47 countries worldwide.
In May 2022, Starlink reported more than 400,000 users in 32 countries worldwide.
It mainly covers North and South America and Europe.
After some time, SpaceX’s presentation noted that Starlink is available in 36 countries and 48 US States.
The company aims to expand coverage to Asia, the Middle East, and Africa.
In the first months of 2023, Starlink surpasses 1 million users in 47 countries worldwide.
Of these, nine countries are in North and South America, thirty-two in Europe, three in Oceania, two in Asia, and one in Africa.
As of May 2023, Starlink users worldwide reached 1.5 million, recording around 3,600 new users daily.
Starlink aims to provide internet connectivity to remote areas with limited access to the internet.
People in some parts of the United States are the first Starlink users since it was the first country to connect with Starlink.
It initially launched its service in the US through a program known as the “Better Than Nothing” beta.
This program allows users to participate in testing the service.
It aims to provide early access to internet service to a limited number of users in underserved areas in the country.
If the US was the first country to connect with Starlink, the UK was the first in Europe, New Zealand in Oceania, Chile in South America, Iran in Asia, and Nigeria in Africa.
Let’s take a look at the first countries where Starlink became operational:
- Starlink became operational in some areas in the United States on October 27, 2020
- Starlink became operational in some areas in the United Kingdom on January 11, 2021
- Starlink became operational in some areas in Canada on January 20, 2021
- Starlink became operational in some areas in Germany on March 9, 2021
- Starlink became operational in some areas in New Zealand on March 26, 2021
- Starlink became operational in some areas in Australia on March 29, 2021
- Starlink became operational in some areas in France on May 7, 2021
- Starlink became operational in some areas in Austria on May 7, 2021
Users love to have fast download speed because it enhances the overall browsing experience.
It reduces the waiting time to download files and updates.
According to Ookla, Starlink’s fastest median download speed in Q1 2022 was in Lithuania, at 160 Mbps.
While the fastest median download speed in North America was in Mexico, at 105.91 Mbps.
Starlink also recorded a median download speed of 124 Mbps in Australia, 97 Mbps in Canada, and 91 Mbps in the US.
Africa has a significant portion of its population without internet access, accounting for approximately 60%.
According to the recent report of African Wireless Communications, Starlink is set to deliver internet services in 23 African countries this year and 14 more countries in the continent next year.
The launch schedule is based on the necessary approvals per country.
Starlink’s expansion in Africa aligns with the company’s mission – to provide internet connectivity to all parts of the world, especially remote or rural areas.
Prime Minister Mykhailo Fedorov asked Elon Musk to send Starlink kits to Ukraine.
After a few months, SpaceX deploys approximately 15,000 Starlink kits, including Starlink User Terminals or Starlink dishes, to Ukranians.
Starlink recorded 150,000 daily users in the country five weeks after being activated.
Starlink is responsible for providing high-speed internet access to areas with unreliable internet connectivity.
It aims to provide global coverage of low-latency internet connection which is why it attracted many people in different countries worldwide.
That’s all about the Starlink users by country in 2023.
Thanks for reading our article.