After the COVID-19 pandemic’s social distancing practices became the norm, an increasing number of individuals turned to e-commerce to satisfy their everyday needs.
E-commerce platforms such as Shopify, Amazon, and eBay have risen in popularity as a result of the COVID-19 restrictions.
Given the increasing popularity of these e-commerce platforms, many people are curious to know how many people use Shopify for their shopping needs.
Shopify is one of the most popular e-commerce platforms worldwide.
Small businesses benefit greatly from Shopify’s powerful and flexible eCommerce platform.
At a fair price, it provides a large number of features and advantages for the sellers.
Shopify caters to all sizes of businesses, may it be a small enterprise or a big company.
How many people use Shopify?
Let’s find out!
- 1 Key Statistics
- 1.1 1. What is Shopify?
- 1.2 2. How many people use Shopify in 2024?
- 1.3 3. There are 2.1 million people who are actively using Shopify every day
- 1.4 4. About 2.8 million stores are based in the USA
- 1.5 5. Shopify hit a $5.6 billion revenue in 2022
- 1.6 6. In the first two quarters of 2023, Shopify gained $3.2 billion revenue
- 1.7 7. Shopify has generated a total of over $755 billion in sales
- 1.8 8. 5 out of 10 of the most successful Shopify stores are fashion related
- 1.9 9. There are 2.5 million new stores in Shopify between March 2020-January 2022
- 1.10 10. 9 out of 10 online Shopify shops fail within its first 120 days
- 1.11 11. 3.6 million jobs are created by Shopify merchants
- 1.12 12. Shopify customers over the years
- 1.13 13. Shopify’s annual revenue in the past 5 years
- 1.14 14. Three Reasons why people love Shopify
- 2 Conclusion
- In 2022, 649 million people bought something from Shopify.
- Shopify hit $3.2 billion revenue in the first two quarters of 2023.
- Over 2.1 million people are active daily users of Shopify.
- The United States is home to over 2.8 million Shopify shops.
- Between March 2020 and January 2022, 2.5 million new stores launched on Shopify.
1. What is Shopify?
Shopify is an e-commerce platform that allows you to easily establish your ideal business and begin selling to clients no matter where they are.
Tobias Lütke, Daniel Weinand, and Scott Lake started it in Ottawa in 2006.
It all started because of Lütke’s dissatisfaction with the current e-commerce systems, which he thought is overly complicated and expensive for small businesses.
Shopify is a subscription-based platform that allows anybody to create and sell an online store.
It includes a website builder, payment processing, shipping integration, and marketing tools to help customers set up and maintain an online store.
Shopify’s purpose is to make commerce accessible to everyone, and it has accomplished this by delivering a user-friendly platform with a wide range of capabilities at an inexpensive price.
(Shopify and Brain Station)
2. How many people use Shopify in 2024?
The rise of e-commerce has led many people to wonder how many people use Shopify for their shopping needs.
Business owners and consumers may now buy and sell the things they desire more easily thanks to Shopify.
As a result, over 649 million consumers made purchases via Shopify in 2022.
3. There are 2.1 million people who are actively using Shopify every day
In the e-commerce sector, Shopify is a significant participant.
Every day, there are more than 2.1 million individuals who use Shopify to either purchase or browse items.
(The Social Shepherd)
4. About 2.8 million stores are based in the USA
The popularity of e-commerce in the USA is one of the biggest reasons why about 2.8 million or at least 62% of Shopify stores are based in the region.
Aside from the United States of America, here are the top 5 countries with the most Shopify stores:
- United States of America is the home for 2,831,742
- United Kingdom with 198,141 Shopify stores.
- Australia is the home for 144,562 Shopify stores.
- There are 139,924 Shopify stores based in Brazil.
- In Germany, there are 116,034 Shopify stores.
5. Shopify hit a $5.6 billion revenue in 2022
Shopify businesses are making an increasing amount of money as more and more individuals do their business online.
In 2022, Shopify had revenues of more than $5.6 billion.
(The Social Shepherd)
6. In the first two quarters of 2023, Shopify gained $3.2 billion revenue
In the first two quarters of 2023, Shopify has reported $3.2 billion revenue.
This figure demonstrates how rapidly Shopify is developing as an e-commerce platform, which indicates that in the years to come we may anticipate even greater revenue growth from Shopify.
7. Shopify has generated a total of over $755 billion in sales
In its 17 years of service as one of the most trusted e-commerce platforms globally, Shopify has produced over $755 billion in revenue.
Shopify has simplified the process of setting up and managing online stores for companies and small businesses, as well as assisting them in expanding their consumer base.
Five (5) out of ten (10) of the top Shopify stores are in the fashion industry.
Online shopping is becoming more and more popular among consumers since it is convenient and provides a larger assortment of fashion items such as clothes, jewelry, etc.
9. There are 2.5 million new stores in Shopify between March 2020-January 2022
The e-commerce sector has been significantly impacted by the COVID-19 outbreak.
E-commerce development and the emergence of e-commerce platforms have intensified due to the pandemic restrictions.
As a result, a sizable number of conventional shops have switched to Shopify to do business online.
Between March 2020 and January 2022, more than 2.5 million new Shopify stores were launched, a 201.53% increase from the previous years.
10. 9 out of 10 online Shopify shops fail within its first 120 days
Many people open online stores without having a solid strategy in place or having a grasp of the e-commerce industry.
This can cause a number of issues, such as picking the incorrect things to offer, establishing inflated prices, or lacking an effective marketing plan.
Due to this, only 90% of businesses successfully make it through the first 120 days of selling online.
11. 3.6 million jobs are created by Shopify merchants
Shopify merchants are thought to have contributed to the creation of 3.6 million employment worldwide.
Shopify merchants hire employees to work in their customer service divisions managing their social media presences, completing orders, and transporting goods.
Aside from that, Shopify sellers also employ individuals to work on their websites, create and advertise their goods, and perform other activities to promote their products.
12. Shopify customers over the years
In recent years, Shopify has seen considerable growth, and this growth has also been reflected in its client base.
More than 2.1 million people were actively using Shopify in 2023.
Check out the evolution of Shopify’s clientele over the years:
- 2014- 28 million
- 2015- 57 million
- 2016- 100 million
- 2017- 163 million
- 2018- 216 million
- 2019- 300 million
- 2020- 457 million
- 2021- 572 million
- 2022- 649 million
Based on the data above, there was a rise of 157 million Shopify clients between 2019 and 2020, when the pandemic started.
13. Shopify’s annual revenue in the past 5 years
Shopify’s annual sales increase over the previous five years has been remarkable.
The business is well-positioned to expand in the years ahead thanks to the expansion of e-commerce, its global presence, its broad variety of features and advantages, and its sizable and vibrant user and developer community.
Let’s take a look at Shopify’s annual revenue from 2018 to 2022:
- In 2018, Shopify gained its first billion and earned $1.07 billion.
- Shopify gained $1.58 billion revenue in 2019.
- Shopify hit almost twice last year’s revenue and gained $2.93 billion revenue this 2020.
- In 2021, Shopify gained $4.61 billion revenue.
- Last year, 2022, Shopify hit $5.6 billion revenue.
14. Three Reasons why people love Shopify
With the rise of online shopping and e-commerce platforms like Shopify, people are becoming more picky on which platform to use for launching their businesses.
Here are the top 3 reasons why people love to sell on Shopify:
- Ease of use
Users will have no trouble locating the features and tools they want thanks to Shopify’s simple and user-friendly layout.
Step-by-step instructions, instructional videos, and frequently asked questions are all provided by Shopify to assist users in learning how to utilize the platform.
Due to its flexible price options, Shopify is accessible to companies of all sizes.
Their pricing ranges from $5 to $2000.
Additionally, Shopify provides a free trial so consumers may test out the software before committing to a subscription plan.
- Creative Freedom
Shopify offers such a huge selection of themes and layouts that users can easily customize based on their preferences.
Themes may be readily changed to improve the usability and appearance of their sites to attract more customers.
So, how many people use Shopify?
Since its debut in 2006, Shopify has experienced tremendous growth.
Over 2.1 million actively use the platform everyday.
It has been a useful resource for companies looking to dominate the e-commerce sector.
Businesses can build and run their own online stores with Shopify, which also allows them to handle payments, send merchandise, and advertise their goods.
Shopify has grown in popularity over the past few years, especially after the COVID-19 pandemic where almost everything has shifted online.
E-commerce platforms have proven crucial for companies throughout the pandemic, and it is probable that they will continue to play a significant part in the development of the e-commerce industry in the coming years.