If you think content marketing isn’t a viable part of your overall marketing strategy, you need to know that content marketing is more lucrative today than ever before.
You will see this in the following content marketing statistics in 2023 that we have researched for you.
How can you be sure that content marketing is effective?
The next few paragraphs will reveal statistics that come from research, studies, and surveys of business owners and marketers in recent years.
This data is too significant and vital to all businesses to ignore.
Due to the generosity of willing professional marketers and business owners, we have the data we all need to improve our content marketing efforts.
You will find statistics, data, trends, and benchmarks within this article.
Let’s discuss content marketing and the data that shows its worth.
- 1 Key Statistics
- 2 Top Content Marketing Statistics in 2023
- 2.1 1. 67% of Marketing Professionals Say that Content Marketing Generates Leads.
- 2.2 2. 72% of Marketing Experts Report that Content Marketing Is Educational to The Audience.
- 2.3 3. 63% of Marketing Professionals Say that Content Marketing Builds Loyalty.
- 2.4 4. 69% of Businesses Expressed Their Intention to Boost Their Content Marketing Budgets for 2023.
- 2.5 5. 55% of B2C Marketing Professionals Outsource Their Content Marketing.
- 2.6 6. 98% of Professional Marketers Use Written Content in Their Content Marketing.
- 2.7 7. In 2021 and 2022, Short Articles, Videos, and 3D Models Were Top Contenders in B2C Content Marketing.
- 2.8 8. 82% of Marketers Invest in Content Marketing.
- 2.9 9. 90% of The Most Successful Businesses Measure Content Marketing Performance.
- 2.10 10. 67% of Marketers Use Facebook for Content Marketing.
- 2.11 11. On Average, People Spend About 7 Hours Viewing Content Online.
- 2.12 12. Content Consumption Rose by 207% During the Pandemic.
- 2.13 13. 90% of Consumers Expect Brands to Deliver Content.
- 2.14 14. 88% of Marketers Used Paid Social Media for Content Distribution.
- 2.15 15. 50% of Millennials Say They Trust Product Recommendations from Influencers.
- 2.16 16. Gen Z Social Media Users Say that Instagram Is Their Favorite Platform.
- 2.17 17. 58% of B2B Virtual Events Resulted in Dynamic Outcomes.
- 2.18 18. 96% of B2B Marketers Use LinkedIn for Content Marketing.
- 2.19 19. Content Marketing Comes at 62% Less Cost than Conventional Marketing.
- 2.20 20. 79% of Online Consumers Claim User-Generated Content Has a Big Impact on Their Buying Decisions.
- 2.21 21. 27% of Businesses Have a Content Marketing Budget of Under $1,000 (USD).
- 2.22 22. 70% of B2C Marketing Professionals Said that Content Marketing Is More Important.
- 3 FAQs
- 3.1 What Is Content Marketing?
- 3.2 What Are the Benefits of Content Marketing?
- 3.3 What Are Some Distinct Types of Content Marketing?
- 3.4 How Can You Create an Effective Content Marketing Strategy?
- 3.5 How Long until You See Results from Your Content Marketing?
- 3.6 What Are Some Challenges Related to Content Marketing?
- 4 Conclusion
- 5 Sources
- 67% of marketing professionals say that content marketing generates leads.
- 72% of marketing experts report that content marketing is educational to the audience.
- 63% of marketing professionals say that content marketing builds loyalty.
- 69% of businesses expressed their intention to boost their content marketing budgets for 2023.
- 55% of B2C marketing professionals outsource their content marketing.
- 98% of professional marketers use written content in their content marketing.
- In 2021 and 2022, short articles, videos, and 3D models were top contenders in B2C content marketing.
- 82% of marketers invest in content marketing.
- 90% of the most successful businesses measure content marketing performance.
- 67% of marketers use Facebook for content marketing.
Top Content Marketing Statistics in 2023
1. 67% of Marketing Professionals Say that Content Marketing Generates Leads.
Marketing experts tell us that using content marketing generates demand and leads.
In fact, 67% of marketing professionals revealed this data, which is a 7% boost over last year.
This data comes from the Content Marketing Institute (CMI) report for 2022.
(ahrefs, CMI 2022 B2B Content Marketing Report)
2. 72% of Marketing Experts Report that Content Marketing Is Educational to The Audience.
One of the goals of an effective content marketing campaign is to help to educate your target audience.
According to 72% of marketing pros, content marketing does help educate the appropriate audience.
It’s also been found that this is a 2% increase over last year.
(ahrefs, CMI 2022 B2B Content Marketing Report)
3. 63% of Marketing Professionals Say that Content Marketing Builds Loyalty.
More confirmation about content marketing reveals that 63% of marketing professionals say that content marketing helps to build loyalty with a company’s current customers.
There has been a 3% increase over 2021 into 2022.
(ahrefs, CMI 2022 B2B Content Marketing Report)
4. 69% of Businesses Expressed Their Intention to Boost Their Content Marketing Budgets for 2023.
It should tell us something when 69% of the most successful businesses have planned to boost their content marketing budgets in 2023 and beyond.
It tells us that content marketing works and that it’s a vital part of every marketing campaign.
Budgeting for content marketing is an essential element of successful businesses.
5. 55% of B2C Marketing Professionals Outsource Their Content Marketing.
A significant amount of business-to-consumer content marketing is outsourced.
In fact, 55% of B2C content marketing is outsourced to freelancers like copywriters, graphic designers, etc.
This method is the best way to utilize top talent.
6. 98% of Professional Marketers Use Written Content in Their Content Marketing.
Nearly all professional marketers (98%) use written content in their content marketing strategy.
This is because the written word is still a viable and effective method of communicating and informing consumers all over the globe.
In fact, it’s one of the best ways to boost brand awareness.
7. In 2021 and 2022, Short Articles, Videos, and 3D Models Were Top Contenders in B2C Content Marketing.
Since professional marketers regularly monitor, track, and analyze the performance of the various types of content marketing they use, we know what performed the best between 2021 and 2022.
According to these metrics, videos, short articles, and 3D models performed the best for B2C content marketing.
8. 82% of Marketers Invest in Content Marketing.
According to data, 82% of professional marketers invest in content marketing as part of their overall marketing strategy.
In contrast, 10% say they don’t use content marketing at all and 8% aren’t sure if their companies even use content marketing.
(ahrefs, Hubspot 2021 State of Marketing Report)
9. 90% of The Most Successful Businesses Measure Content Marketing Performance.
In the 2022 B2B Content Marketing Report by the Content Marketing Institute (CMI), 90% of the most successful businesses said that they do measure their content marketing performance.
Of all respondents, 75% said the same, and 39% of the least successful said they measure content performance.
(CMI 2022 B2B Content Marketing Report)
10. 67% of Marketers Use Facebook for Content Marketing.
Facebook is one of the most used social media platforms among marketers today.
In fact, 67% of marketers use Facebook as one of their content marketing spaces.
Right behind Facebook, 65% of marketers use Instagram for content marketing.
11. On Average, People Spend About 7 Hours Viewing Content Online.
As a content marketer, you should know your audience.
Part of knowing your audience is knowing how long they are online.
In today’s world, the average person is spending an average of 7 hours per day consuming content.
12. Content Consumption Rose by 207% During the Pandemic.
A Search Engine Journal Report revealed that the pandemic caused an increase of 207% in content consumption.
This data is confirmed by a Mediafly report that also revealed that interactive content receives 28% more views than non-interactive content.
13. 90% of Consumers Expect Brands to Deliver Content.
Another statistic that shows the importance of content marketing is that 90% (9 out of 10) of consumers expect brands to give them content to look at.
With over half of online content being less than meaningful (58%), it’s important to deliver meaningful content to meet the demand for branded content.
14. 88% of Marketers Used Paid Social Media for Content Distribution.
Over the past year, B2C marketers who used one or more paid distribution venue accounted for 63% which is a decrease over the 2022 percentage of 78%.
Of marketers using paid distribution channels, 88% are using paid social media solutions as part of the content marketing strategy.
(CMI 2023 B2C Content Marketing Report)
15. 50% of Millennials Say They Trust Product Recommendations from Influencers.
Let’s look at how generational content impacts your content marketing.
Half of Millennials from a survey said that they trust product recommendations that come from influencers.
Influencers are often one of the outsourcing options that businesses use.
16. Gen Z Social Media Users Say that Instagram Is Their Favorite Platform.
As of 2022, Gen Z social media users have chosen Instagram as their preferred social media app.
This is a significant piece of data for marketers today.
If you’re not using Instagram to its fullest potential to reach out to Gen Z (age range: 9 to 24), you’re missing the generation that is about to become some of most influential consumers.
It’s time to plan for Gen Z marketing.
17. 58% of B2B Virtual Events Resulted in Dynamic Outcomes.
In 2022, reports for 2021 showed that B2B virtual events showed strong results.
Now, with in-person events coming back, 43% said that they used this method to get in front of their audiences.
Also, in-person events produce the best results in terms of content marketing.
While plans to increase in-person events were in the works, we may see that change in the coming months.
(CMI 2022 B2B Content Marketing Report, CMI 2023 B2C Content Marketing Report, Siege Media)
18. 96% of B2B Marketers Use LinkedIn for Content Marketing.
In the Content Marketing Institute 2021 B2B Content Marketing report, 96% of content marketers were shown to use LinkedIn to promote their content.
In 2021, these data showed that LinkedIn is the most used social media platform for B2B content marketers.
It makes sense as LinkedIn is a professional social network.
(CMI 2021 B2B Content Marketing Report)
19. Content Marketing Comes at 62% Less Cost than Conventional Marketing.
Research has revealed that content marketing comes at a lower cost than conventional marketing methods.
In fact, content marketing costs 62% less than conventional marketing.
The biggest expenses in content marketing account for outsourcing writers and other freelancers during the production process.
20. 79% of Online Consumers Claim User-Generated Content Has a Big Impact on Their Buying Decisions.
It should come as no surprise that online consumers look for user-generated content as a major driver of buying decisions.
User-generated content is highly valuable and more meaningful than any other form of content.
In 2019, 79% of consumers admitted that user-generated content had a considerable influence on their buying decisions.
21. 27% of Businesses Have a Content Marketing Budget of Under $1,000 (USD).
In terms of content marketing budgets, 27% of businesses have a budget of less than $1,000 (USD), which is the highest share of businesses with content marketing budgets.
Only 6% of businesses allocate more than $20,000 to their content marketing budget.
The mid-range is $5,000 to $10,000 of which 17% of businesses use as their content marketing budget.
22. 70% of B2C Marketing Professionals Said that Content Marketing Is More Important.
Data from CMI’s 13th annual content marketing survey revealed that 70% of B2C (business-to-consumer) marketing pros said that content marketing is the most important aspect to their organization’s success.
Another 26% said that content marketing was the same for them as another other marketing and only 4% said it was less important to their business.
(CMI 2023 B2C Marketing Report)
What Is Content Marketing?
Content marketing involves the marketing strategy where you create and distribute consistent, relevant, and valuable content to appeal to a specific target audience.
Ultimately, you should be able to drive relevant traffic to your site and business to meet your business goals.
What Are the Benefits of Content Marketing?
Content marketing is used to reach several marketing goals which can include:
• Boosting your brand awareness.
• Generating relevant leads.
• Stimulating sales.
• Enhancing customer loyalty.
• Developing your authority in your industry/niche.
• Establishing yourself as an expert in your industry.
What Are Some Distinct Types of Content Marketing?
Content marketing isn’t a one-off ideal.
It involves many types of content marketing, which include:
• Email newsletters
• Blog posts
• Case studies
• Social media posts
How Can You Create an Effective Content Marketing Strategy?
While this is more complicated than a few tips, here are the things you need the most to create an effective marketing campaign.
• Know your target audience.
• Set realistic and clear goals.
• Create relevant and valuable content.
• Promote your content efficiently and effectively.
• Monitor, track, and measure your content results.
How Long until You See Results from Your Content Marketing?
Results from content marketing vary depending on your target audience, niche/industry, the quality of your content, and some other factors that impact your results.
It can take several months to see any noteworthy results.
What Are Some Challenges Related to Content Marketing?
Like anything you do in life, content marketing has its benefits and its challenges.
We addressed the benefits and now we will address some of those challenges.
• Creation of informative and engaging high-quality content.
• Properly promoting your content.
• Measuring your content marketing results.
If you didn’t know the significance of content marketing before, you should have a better idea now.
In light of these statistics, what will you change in your business’ marketing plan?
In lieu of consumers spending an average of 7 hours per day consuming content, we should all be taking advantage of high-quality content marketing methods.
With over half of the content online today that is mediocre at best, it’s time to up your content marketing game with higher quality content.
If you’re a brand, people obviously expect to see content from you across channels and across online sources.
It’s an opportunity to reach your audience that you shouldn’t miss.
We hope that these content marketing statistics have opened your eyes to the importance of this business strategy and how it benefits you over the long haul.