If you’ve been online lately, you know that ChatGPT is all over the place.
For a company that was launched in November 2022, there are already over one million users and similar chatbots are already claiming they are better than ChatGPT.
That’s one way to know your company is buzzing.
In this article, we will cover the ChatGPT statistics we found.
Without months of studies, surveys, and cases, we have only a few facts and statistics to source for our readers.
We will go over what ChatGPT is, how it works, and what some big tech gurus are saying about it.
- 1 What is ChatGPT?
- 2 What Does ChatGPT Do?
- 3 Key ChatGPT Statistics 2024
- 4 Detailed ChatGPT Statistics 2024
- 4.1 1. ChatGTP Is Backed by Investments from Microsoft, Linked in Co-Founder, Reid Hoffman, and Khosla Ventures.
- 4.2 2. Microsoft Azure Power ChatGTP.
- 4.3 3. In the First Week After Being Introduced to The Public, ChatGTP Reached One Million Users.
- 4.4 4. Sam Altman Reveals Plans to Monetize ChatGTP.
- 4.5 5 It’s Been Forecasted that OpenAI Will Generate at Least $200 Million in Revenue by The Final Quarter of 2023.
- 4.6 6. ChatGTP Training Limits Its Functionality.
- 4.7 7. Edward Tian, Princeton University Student, Says He Built an App to Detect an Essay Written Using ChatGTP.
- 4.8 8. Reports About ChatGTP Involve Two Professors Who Caught Students Using the Chat Tool.
- 4.9 9. ChatGTP Is Limited in Understanding and Other Factors of Its Features.
- 4.10 10. Security Concerns Prevent ChatGTP from Being Available in Every Country.
- 4.11 11. On January 13, 2023, a Report that Russian Hackers Learned to Bypass the Restrictions on ChatGTP Was Released.
- 4.12 12. By January 2023, ChatGTP Became the 98th Most Popular Site Online.
- 4.13 13. AI Token Values Rise by 77% due to ChatGPT.
- 4.14 14. Google Has Placed a Code Red Due to The Fast Growth of ChatGTP.
- 4.15 15. ChatGTP Can’t Access the Internet.
- 5 FAQ
- 6 More About ChatGPT and OpenAI You Need to Know
- 7 Conclusion
- 8 Sources
What is ChatGPT?
ChatGPT was created by OpenAI as a sophisticated artificial intelligence (AI) system that bridges a connection between humans and bots.
This language tool is based on a deep learning model, allowing users to ask questions and get an answer.
Sam Altman is OpenAI’s CEO.
Altman said that ChatGPT is a highly trained chatbot based on InstructGPT.
GPT stands for “Generative Pre-Trained Transformer”, which sounds like a science fiction movie, but it’s a system used in the real world.
ChatGPT’s parent company is OpenAI, headquartered in San Francisco, California.
The founders of OpenAI are Sam Altman, CEO, and Elon Musk, who is no longer involved with the company other than investing or supporting his friend, Sam Altman.
What Does ChatGPT Do?
To put it plainly, it’s trained to give easy to understand and clear information related to the input given.
It’s being used to get ideas for blogs, write articles, give you recipes, help with gift ideas, write code, and ideas to help you create a business strategy.
These uses are just a few of its operations.
Basically, you ask a question or give it a prompt, and it quickly responds with answers or ideas.
The latest news about this AI technology is that schools are already blocking it on campuses to prevent students from using it to write essays.
It’s that dynamic and powerful.
The following statistics and facts will provide you with more information about this technology.
Key ChatGPT Statistics 2024
- ChatGPT is backed by investments from Microsoft, LinkedIn co-founder, Reid Hoffman, and Khosla Ventures.
- Microsoft Azure power ChatGPT.
- In the first week after being introduced to the public, ChatGPT reached one million users.
- Sam Altman reveals plans to monetize ChatGPT.
- It’s been forecasted that OpenAI will generate at least $200 million in revenue by the final quarter of 2023.
- ChatGPT training limits its functionality.
- Edward Tian, Princeton University student, says he built an app to detect an essay written using ChatGPT.
- Reports about ChatGPT involve two professors who caught students using the chat tool.
- ChatGPT is limited in understanding and other factors of its features.
- Security concerns prevent ChatGPT from being available in every country.
Detailed ChatGPT Statistics 2024
In this section, we’ll provide the statistics, data, and facts that you need to know.
After you read this section, you will understand more about ChatGPT.
1. ChatGTP Is Backed by Investments from Microsoft, Linked in Co-Founder, Reid Hoffman, and Khosla Ventures.
Reid Hoffman is one of the co-founders of LinkedIn and is one of the investors of ChatGPT.
Alongside Microsoft and Khosla Ventures, this AI technology has gotten started on the right foot.
The reported amount initially invested by Microsoft was one million, but more reports are saying that they may be investing another $ million in the AI.
OpenAI LP is a nonprofit organization governed by Greg Brockman (President and Chairman), Sam Altman (CEO), Ilya Sutskever (Chief Scientist), and non-employees, Reid Hoffman, Adam D’Angelo, Shivon Zillis, Will Hurder, Helen Toner, and Tasha McCauley.
2. Microsoft Azure Power ChatGTP.
Not only has Microsoft invested financially in OpenAI and ChatGPT, its own system, Azure provides the power behind it.
ChatGPT requires dynamic computational power to operate.
Azure has that power.
3. In the First Week After Being Introduced to The Public, ChatGTP Reached One Million Users.
By December 5, 2022, Sam Altman, CEO, reported that this AI tool achieved one million user registrations.
So, in its first week, between November 30, 2022, and December 5, 2022, ChatGPT was already wildly popular.
While the expectation for next year is over one billion users, there are no current updates on the count yet.
(Sam Altman Twitter)
4. Sam Altman Reveals Plans to Monetize ChatGTP.
As with any innovative technology in the market, monetization is inevitable.
Altman said that at some point the computing costs would need to be covered.
His words were that the chatbot computing costs are “eye-watering”.
In a Twitter exchange between Altman and Musk, Elon asked what the average cost per chat would be.
Altman replied that it would likely be in the single digits per chat, but they are still crunching the numbers.
There are costs on the website for the AI chatbot being used for now.
Though there are reports saying that there is a monthly or yearly usage fee.
In the works is a paid professional version, which will be the name of the monetized version of the tool.
Under pressure from its investors, including Microsoft, monetization is necessary.
Investors like a fast turnaround for their money.
(Musk-Altman Twitter, IBL News)
5 It’s Been Forecasted that OpenAI Will Generate at Least $200 Million in Revenue by The Final Quarter of 2023.
The owner of ChatGPT is projecting $200 million in revenue for 2023, according to Reuters.
By 2024, the revenue prediction is one billion dollars.
These predictions come on the cusp of the company prepping a paid version of the chat tool.
The paid version is to be called ChatGPT Professional, which is expected to “fix” the unavailability issue currently being experienced by some users.
Investors will want their piece of that predicted $200 million at the end of the year.
6. ChatGTP Training Limits Its Functionality.
Since the training of ChatGPT ended in September 2021, the information it offers is restricted after that.
This is a limitation of this chat tool.
For instance, if you ask it about something that happened after September 2021, it will probably either give you outdated information, gibberish, or tell you it doesn’t access the internet, so it cannot answer that query.
The funny thing is that the bot sometimes answers with confidence since it doesn’t know anything beyond its training period.
It hasn’t yet been updated, but there’s no doubt that the company has plans to improve on this limitation.
7. Edward Tian, Princeton University Student, Says He Built an App to Detect an Essay Written Using ChatGTP.
Edward Tian says his GPTZero app “sniffs” out whether an essay is written by human hands by a bot.
The plan is to keep the app free so that educational institutions can all have access to it.
Tian says he spent his New Year’s Day building this app designed to help teachers find plagiarism and detect bot-written essays.
The plan is to make this app public mid-to-late January 2023.
Won’t that be interesting?
This shows us just how fast technology can move.
(Edward Tian Twitter, NPR)
8. Reports About ChatGTP Involve Two Professors Who Caught Students Using the Chat Tool.
It’s difficult to prove cheating on essays when students are using ChatGPT technology, Edward Tian may become popular among professors and teachers around the world with his app that detects bot-written essays.
Just a few weeks after ChatGPT’s launch, a professor at Furman University, Darren HIck, caught one of his students turning in an essay that was AI-generated.
He opened it with OpenAI’s ChatGPT detector, which showed there was a 99% probability that it was bot-written.
Hick stated, “It was really well-written wrong.”
Therefore, sometimes, it can be obvious enough to run it through an app like Tian or OpenAI offers.
Antony Aumann, a philosophy and religious studies professor reported that he caught two students who turned in essays written by ChatGPT.
(Business Insider, NYT)
9. ChatGTP Is Limited in Understanding and Other Factors of Its Features.
While ChatGPT is being touted as a scary good AI bot, users find glitches, limitations, and mistakes in the app.
We already know that it’s limited to information from September 2021 and before.
However, the bot also seems to write gibberish or oddly formatted responses.
It’s been noticed that it can use certain phrases in excess and some nonsensical responses.
It’s shown some biases related to some issues, and it has a sensitivity to input phrasing that requires the requester to rephrase their input.
We must keep in mind that this system is still in its infancy, so user input and feedback are crucial to its future success.
There will be glitches and issues along the way because it’s still learning and evolving.
We’re sure that updates to the bot will be necessary.
10. Security Concerns Prevent ChatGTP from Being Available in Every Country.
With ChatGPT still in its infancy, the concerns over privacy and security keep it from launching all over the world.
For instance, it’s unavailable in China, Afghanistan, Russia, Venezuela, Iran, Ukraine, and Belarus.
Thats the brief list where it’s illegal, banned, or where it doesn’t pass security protocols.
11. On January 13, 2023, a Report that Russian Hackers Learned to Bypass the Restrictions on ChatGTP Was Released.
For just about every protocol and restriction you can place on an app, there’s a hacker who can break the code.
In Russia, hackers bypassed the OpenAI restrictions placed on the chat tool.
It’s believed they are doing this to test how it would work in the criminal endeavors.
12. By January 2023, ChatGTP Became the 98th Most Popular Site Online.
ChatGPT was just launched on November 30, 2022.
Getting into the top 100 most popular websites is huge.
In January, it became the 98th most popular site on the web.
Similarweb shows it’s getting 304 million daily views.
In the United States, it already ranks number 7 in the computers, electronics, and technology category.
More than half of the social media traffic is coming from YouTube (52.24%).
13. AI Token Values Rise by 77% due to ChatGPT.
While not all AI cryptocurrencies experienced substantial rise in cost, DeepBrain Chain (DBC) and Numeraire (NMR) more than doubled.
DeepBrain Chain went up by 76.7%, while Numeraire went up 54.5% at the same time.
These cost hikes are believed to be because of the hype surrounding ChatGPT as traders started buying up AI tokens.
Alethea Artificial Liquid Intelligence (ALI) rose by 3.2%, Fetch.ai (FET) rose by 10.1%, and SingularityNET (AGIX) rose by 7%, which is not as significant as the rise in DBC and NMR.
14. Google Has Placed a Code Red Due to The Fast Growth of ChatGTP.
ChatGPT may be a new AI chat tool to the technology world, but it seems to have Google and other organizations on edge.
Google recently released a code red because of the growth of this chat tool.
Does that mean Google is concerned about competition? The potential of ChatGPT to give Google a run for its money is there, but it’s not yet accurate or authentic enough to compete with Google.
Remember, ChatGPT is limited in resources and information from September 2021 and earlier.
Google is connected to the internet.
ChatGPT can’t and doesn’t currently connect to the internet.
(NYT 2, Fool)
15. ChatGTP Can’t Access the Internet.
Currently, ChatGPT can’t go on the internet. The chat tool is designed as a language model.
It has a disclaimer that sometimes generates letting you know it doesn’t have access to the internet.
It’s only capable of generating text-based data upon which it was trained.
(OpenAI ChatGPT FAQ)
How Much Does ChatGTP Cost to Use?
While this chat tool is in its initial research phase, it’s free to use.
However, Sam Altman has plans to monetize when they have created a plan to do that.
Can ChatGPT Be Trusted with Accurate and Trustworthy Information?
Since ChatGPT isn’t internet connected, and is limited to information from September 2021 and before, it may sometimes generate biased or harmful instructions.
OpenAI requests that users give a thumbs down when they find an answer that is incorrect, biased, or harmful in any way.
They are asking for feedback during this initial phase.
Is Elon Musk Involved with ChatGPT?
While Musk was a founder with OpenAI, he has since left his board membership behind.
In fact, early in December 2022, Elon paused OpenAI’s access to the Twitter database.
Whether that’s permanent or not remains to be seen.
He did so out of privacy and security concerns.
He stated that he needs to know more about the governance and revenue plans within the company before he opens access to Twitter.
More About ChatGPT and OpenAI You Need to Know
We have a few more details about OpenAI and ChatGPT, facts, and other data to share in short form.
OpenAI has asked for feedback from users during this research phase of the chat tool.
Here’s what they have received from prominent journalists, techies, and publications.
- Bleeping Computer writer, Ax Sharma says that ChatGPT could write phishing emails and malware.
- Elon Musk tweeted that “ChatGPT is scary good” and added that dangerously strong AI will affect humanity.
- In December, NYT released some feedback that claimed this is the best artificial intelligence chatbot that’s been made public.
- Due to the ambiguous and untrustworthy nature of ChatGPT, Stack Overflow banned ChatGPT usage in December.
- An editor from CNBC provided feedback about how ChatGPT generated made up lyrics over the actual lyrics to “The Ballad of Dwight Fry”, even though the bot knew the historical background of the song.
- Economist Paul Krugman expressed concern that this chat tool will affect the employment of and demand for knowledgeable workers.
There are positive and negative feedback comments from a wide variety of people from all levels of society. Some are publications, business owners, etc.
We wanted to give our readers something to consider about ChatGPT.
Here are some facts and statistics you need about OpenAI, ChatGPT’s parent company.
- OpenAI employs more than 100 people.
- The OpenAI site had 21 monthly visitors, according to data from December 2022.
- The traffic received on OpenAI’s site is 43.63% from searches.
- Direct links to OpenAI’s website account for 48.98% of its traffic.
- The United States represents 21% of OpenAI’s site traffic.
Artificial intelligence, or AI for short, has been nothing more than a fantasy in science fiction movies and television shows until recent years.
ChatGPT is becoming known as the most significant advancement in AI chatbots since this market started.
No matter what you think about AI and AI-generated content, it’s going to exist and be part of our lives.
Is it safe? Is it dangerous? We may not get the chance to know until it’s tested and studied further.
Already, professors and schools are banning its use on their campuses to reduce the potential of plagiarism and cheating on essays.
In fact, two professors caught students trying to pass of essays as their own when they used ChatGPT.
One Princeton student even developed an app to detect whether an essay is human-written or bot-written.
Edward Tain, as you read in the article is that student who intends on making it free to use for schools and teachers.
We hope you have gotten something of value from the statistics and data we gathered and shared with you.