YouTube gets more than 25 percent of the global mobile traffic.
Yes, you read it right.
YouTube is used by over 1/4th of the world population.
YouTube, the global video platform giant, launched a 15-60 seconds shorter video version in 2020.
It was considered competition for TikTok, another social media short video application.
According to statistics, people spent 52 minutes on TikTok globally, with 90 percent of its users accessing the application daily.
Americans use Tiktok 33 minutes per day, and it is considered the application with the most engagement rate.
YouTube found an opportunity in the short video segment and launched the YouTube Shorts beta version in September 2020.
It soon became a success and gained wide crowd support.
“Shorts is a short-form video experience for anyone who wants to create short, catchy videos using nothing but their mobile phones.” Chris Jaffe, the VP of Product Management, YouTube.
In March 2021, YouTube expanded its new feature to many countries, including the USA, where TikTok recorded an engagement rate of 1,533 percent between 2017 and 2019.
One of the most famous YouTube Shorts was from five-minute crafts. It was a 30 seconds short video of making soap in the shape of a human foot.
The Short video gained more than 400 million views and 8 million likes. Around 30,000 people posted comments under the video.
We shall discuss the YouTube Shorts statistics that show the power of the platform in 2023.
- 1 Key Statistics
- 2 Detailed YouTube Shorts Statistics for 2023
- 2.1 1. More than 2.3 Billion Subscribers Regularly Visit YouTube Every Month.
- 2.2 2. YouTube Shorts Has Reached 50 Billion Daily Views
- 2.3 3. $100 Million Funding on YouTube Shorts to Pay the Content Creators on The Platform
- 2.4 4. YouTube Has Subscribers from More than 100 Countries
- 2.5 5. About 72% of YouTube Shorts Duration Is Between 16 Seconds and 60 Seconds.
- 2.6 6. One YouTube User Is Worth Twenty-Five TikTok Followers.
- 2.7 7. About 25.6% of YouTube Shorts Originated from India, and 23.4% Were from The United States.
- 2.8 8. YouTube Generated $7 Billion in Advertising Revenue During the Third Quarter of 2021
- 3 Sources
- More than 2.3 billion people regularly visit YouTube every month.
- YouTube Shorts has reached 50 billion daily views
- $100 million funding on YouTube Shorts to pay the content creators on the platform
- YouTube has subscribers from more than 100 countries
- About 72% of YouTube Shorts’ duration is between 16 seconds and 60 seconds.
- One YouTube user is worth twenty-five TikTok followers.
- About 25.6% of YouTube Shorts are originated from India, and 23.4% were from the United States.
- YouTube generated $7 billion in advertising revenue during the third quarter of 2021
Detailed YouTube Shorts Statistics for 2023
1. More than 2.3 Billion Subscribers Regularly Visit YouTube Every Month.
YouTube is the second most-visited website globally, and more than 40 percent of YouTube watch time comes from Smartphones.
Around 80% of Americans are regular YouTube subscribers, and about 80 percent of them say their children under age 11 are also regular YouTube viewers.
About 77 percent of Americans aged between 15 and 35 are Regular YouTube subscribers in the US.
2. YouTube Shorts Has Reached 50 Billion Daily Views
Based on the report by TechCrunch, Google says that YouTube shorts gets 50 billion daily views.
The statistics prove that the Short video segment in YouTube has quickly gained popularity among influencers and businesses.
3. $100 Million Funding on YouTube Shorts to Pay the Content Creators on The Platform
According to YouTube, it has paid $ 30 billion or more to artists, media firms, content creators, etc., in the last three years.
After introducing YouTube Shorts, they have initiated a $100 million fund payment plan for the 2021-2022 period.
Every month YouTube will pay Shorts creators who are eligible to receive the amount based on its community guidelines.
The guidelines include YouTube Shorts video engagement rate, view count, etc.
As per the stats, YouTube will pay an amount ranging between $100-10,000 every month to the creators based on the video quality.
YouTube believes that the incentive payment can boost the use of its short video version among influencers and creative content makers.
4. YouTube Has Subscribers from More than 100 Countries
YouTube has subscribers from more than 100 countries and is used by more than 80 different languages.
As per the July 2021 stats, YouTube Shorts are getting 15 billion daily views on average.
5. About 72% of YouTube Shorts Duration Is Between 16 Seconds and 60 Seconds.
YouTube Shorts are usually 15 seconds long, but the duration can be stretched to 60 seconds.
According to the statistics, more than 70 percent of YouTube Shorts are lengthier than 15 seconds, and about 72% of YouTube Shorts duration is between 16 seconds and 60 seconds.
A study conducted by Tubular Labs on 1.1 million YouTube Shorts revealed that most content creators utilize the extra 45 seconds while making Short video content.
6. One YouTube User Is Worth Twenty-Five TikTok Followers.
According to studies, a TikTok user is worth 4 percent of YouTube Subscribers, and therefore, one YouTube user is worth twenty-five TikTok followers.
As per the January 2022 stats, more than 1 billion people use TikTok every month globally.
Interestingly, in 2019, 33 percent of people mentioned that they hadn’t even heard of the short video app!
It was in 2020, during the Covid-19 pandemic, TikTok became popular, and people started using it widely.
YouTube Shorts, inspired by TikTok, gained popularity soon after its launch in the last quarter of 2020.
During the last quarter of 2020, YouTube Shorts recorded 3.5 billion views which became 6.5 billion by the beginning of 2021 second quarter.
7. About 25.6% of YouTube Shorts Originated from India, and 23.4% Were from The United States.
“We have seen a new breed of creators come onto the platform right with the launch of Shorts, and a lot of existing creators have adapted as well. Shorts allow you to create a video on the fly. It has made creation very easy for a lot of people.”
Satya Raghavan, director, YouTube Content Partnerships, India.
Based on the June 2021 stats, the Indian YouTube channels that make more than one lakh income have expanded 60 percent year-on-year.
And over 4000 YouTube channels have crossed the one million subscribers milestone during 2021, marking a 50 percent year-on-year increase.
8. YouTube Generated $7 Billion in Advertising Revenue During the Third Quarter of 2021
According to the sales stats, YouTube has generated up to seven billion American dollars in the Q3 of 2021.
By this, YouTube registered 43 percent year-over-year growth in ad revenue. Alphabet, the parent company that owns YouTube and Google, made 65.12 billion American dollars at 41 percent ($27.77 per share).