Upwork is a global freelancing platform that connects businesses with freelancers. We have gathered some Upwork statistics in 2023 for this resource.
The Upwork platform offers a wide range of services, including writing, design, development, marketing, and customer service.
Upwork is used by businesses of all sizes, from startups to Fortune 500 companies.
These statistics will show that Upwork is a principal freelance market player across the globe.
The platform offers a wide range of opportunities for freelancers, and it is used by businesses of all sizes.
Let’s look at the statistics about Upwork.
- 1 Key Statistics
- 2 Detailed Upwork Statistics in 2023
- 2.1 1. There Are Over 18 Million Freelancers on Upwork.
- 2.2 2. Upwork Has Over 793,000 Active Clients.
- 2.3 3. Upwork Generated $618 Million in Gross Revenue in 2022.
- 2.4 4. 60% of Freelancers Who Left Full-Time Jobs to Freelance on Upwork Make More Money than In Their Full-Time Jobs.
- 2.5 5. the Most In-Demand Skills on Upwork Are in Technology, Design, Creative Services, Customer Service, Accounting, Consulting, and Marketing.
- 2.6 6. Upwork Is Used by Businesses of All Sizes, from Startups to Fortune 500 Companies.
- 2.7 7. Upwork Is Available in Over 180 Countries.
- 2.8 8. Writers on Upwork’s Platform Earn an Average of Between $30 and $40 per Hour.
- 2.9 9. the Freelance Workforce Is Expected to Reach 90.1 Million People in 2028.
- 2.10 10. the Overall Freelance Market Is Expected to Reach a Worth of Over $18 Billion by 2031.
- 2.11 11. Upwork Gets the Most Desktop Traffic from The Philippines at 67.44%.
- 2.12 12. India Offers the Most Mobile Visits to Upwork at 57.93%.
- 2.13 13. 61.6% of All Upwork Traffic Comes from Desktop Devices.
- 2.14 14. 38.4% of Upwork’s Traffic Comes from Mobile Devices.
- 2.15 15. 90.5% of All Upwork’s Revenue Comes from Its Marketplace.
- 2.16 16. Revenues from Freelancers Make up 67.86% of Upwork’s Marketplace Revenue.
- 2.17 17. India, the United States, and The Philippines Make up For 51.57% of Upwork’s Total Freelancer Revenues.
- 2.18 18. in 2020, Upwork Revenue from The Employer Side Came to $107.36 Million.
- 2.19 19. in May 2023, Upwork Retired Their Tiered Fee Structure.
- 2.20 20. In The First Quarter of 2023, Upwork Reported that They Have Around 827,000 Active Clients.
- 3 FAQs
- 3.1 What Are Some of The Most Popular Skills on Upwork?
- 3.2 What Are Some of The Most Popular Industries on Upwork?
- 3.3 What Are Some of The Most Common Challenges that Freelancers Face?
- 3.4 How Much Do Freelancers Make on Upwork?
- 3.5 How Do I Get Started on Upwork?
- 3.6 Is Upwork Safe?
- 3.7 What Are Some Tips for Success on Upwork?
- 4 Conclusion
- 5 Sources
- There are over 18 million freelancers on Upwork.
- Upwork has over 793,000 active clients.
- Upwork generated $618 million in revenue in 2022.
- 60% of freelancers who left full-time jobs to freelance on Upwork make more money.
- The most in-demand skills on Upwork are in technology, design, creative services, customer service, accounting, consulting, and marketing.
- Upwork is used by businesses of all sizes, from startups to Fortune 500 companies.
- Upwork is available in over 180 countries.
- Writers on Upwork’s platform earn an average of between $30 and $40 per hour.
- The freelance workforce is expected to reach 90.1 million people in 2028.
- The overall freelance market is expected to reach a worth of over 18 billion by 2031.
Detailed Upwork Statistics in 2023
1. There Are Over 18 Million Freelancers on Upwork.
The latest data tells us that there are 18 million plus registered freelancers on the Upwork platform.
This makes Upwork the world’s largest and most popular network for freelancers to meet clients.
With a pool of 18 million freelancers, there’s no reason people can’t find talent for projects or jobs for freelancers.
2. Upwork Has Over 793,000 Active Clients.
According to data from the first quarter of 2022, Upwork’s active client base consisted of 793,000 clients.
An active client must have “spent” activity on their account within the past year to be considered an active client.
(Sell Courses Online)
3. Upwork Generated $618 Million in Gross Revenue in 2022.
The 2022 final and fourth quarter Upwork Shareholder letter shows that Upwork had generated $$618 million (USD) in gross revenue during the year.
The shareholder letter states that their GSV (Gross Services Volume) grew 23% year-over-year for all of 2022 to reach this GAAP.
(Upwork Shareholder Letter 2022)
4. 60% of Freelancers Who Left Full-Time Jobs to Freelance on Upwork Make More Money than In Their Full-Time Jobs.
This data comes from past research from Upwork. In 2020, U.S. freelancers were earning an average of $20 per hour.
Depending on your skills and the projects in which you engage, you can earn between $40,000 to $120,000 on Upwork.
This represents hourly wages of between $20 and $65 per hour.
5. the Most In-Demand Skills on Upwork Are in Technology, Design, Creative Services, Customer Service, Accounting, Consulting, and Marketing.
Upwork’s updated list of the most in-demand skills are within the Technology, Marketing, Customer Service, Accounting & Consulting, and Design & Creative categories.
(Upwork Press Release)
6. Upwork Is Used by Businesses of All Sizes, from Startups to Fortune 500 Companies.
The opportunities for freelancers and clients are virtually unlimited on the Upwork platform.
This is why it’s used by businesses from small startups to massive Fortune 500 organizations.
This is where they find the best talent for their needs.
If you use Upwork on either side, you know how powerful it is.
7. Upwork Is Available in Over 180 Countries.
Upwork is a global platform that brings freelancers with a wide range of skills together with clients who need those skills.
According to a recent Upwork Press Release, the platform is available in more than 180 countries on the globe.
(Upwork Press Release 2)
8. Writers on Upwork’s Platform Earn an Average of Between $30 and $40 per Hour.
According to Upwork’s own research, they have found that the average freelance writer on Upwork charges rates between $30 and $40 per hour.
That would help them achieve an annual income of about $42,000. This is one of the lowest fees charged by professionals in the marketplace.
9. the Freelance Workforce Is Expected to Reach 90.1 Million People in 2028.
We know that the freelance economy is growing across the globe, but the latest predictions show that by 2027, there will be 86.5 million freelancers in the world.
Moreover, by 2028, it’s expected that there will be at least 9.1 million freelancers.
10. the Overall Freelance Market Is Expected to Reach a Worth of Over $18 Billion by 2031.
At a CAGR of 15.1%, the market growth in the freelance platform market is expected to reach around $18.3 billion (USD) by 2031.
For comparison, this market was valued at $5.1 billion in 2022, which means the growth will seem astronomical by 2031.
(PR Newswire 2023)
11. Upwork Gets the Most Desktop Traffic from The Philippines at 67.44%.
According to SEMRush, the Philippines provides Upwork with the most desktop traffic with a 67.44% share.
The United States is second with a 64.45% desktop visitor share going to Upwork.
Pakistan has 58.34% of this market share and the United Kingdom has 46.39%.
12. India Offers the Most Mobile Visits to Upwork at 57.93%.
The vast majority of the mobile market share of Upwork traffic goes to India with a 57.63% share.
Second to India is the United Kingdom where the market share for mobile traffic comes to 53.61%.
Pakistan follows that with 41.66% of the market share and the United States surprisingly has only 35.55% of the mobile market share in Upwork traffic.
13. 61.6% of All Upwork Traffic Comes from Desktop Devices.
According to our source, desktop devices make up the majority of Upwork’s traffic.
This represents how freelancers and clients are using the platform, as well as how newcomers are finding and searching the website.
The 61.6% share of desktop traffic going to Upwork represents over 37.6 million visitors.
14. 38.4% of Upwork’s Traffic Comes from Mobile Devices.
With the world using mobile so much more for shopping and social media, you would think that searching and going to Upwork via mobile would be the in ‘thing”.
However, the mobile demographic for Upwork is significantly lower than the 61.6% of desktop traffic.
The mobile device share for Upwork traffic accounts for 38.4%. This figure represents over 23.4 million visitors.
15. 90.5% of All Upwork’s Revenue Comes from Its Marketplace.
As with all freelance marketplaces, Upwork generates revenue from its managed services and its marketplace.
The managed services include the markup fees charged for services where Upwork engages with and finds freelancers for clients.
The marketplace services include admin and service fees that are paid by both employers and freelancers.
16. Revenues from Freelancers Make up 67.86% of Upwork’s Marketplace Revenue.
Whether the freelancer is using Upwork for free or it’s paying for premium services, Upwork takes 10% for payment withdrawal fees.
It had a tiered percentage model until 2023. Now, it’s a flat 10% fee charged by Upwork to freelancers when they get paid.
Membership charges and connects (virtual tokens you need to apply for jobs) also account for freelancer marketplace revenue.
17. India, the United States, and The Philippines Make up For 51.57% of Upwork’s Total Freelancer Revenues.
In terms of markets that keep Upwork afloat in profit and revenue, India, the Philippines, and the United States account for 51.57% of the freelancer side of the marketplace’s revenue.
That’s over half of the total company freelancer revenue on the marketplace.
18. in 2020, Upwork Revenue from The Employer Side Came to $107.36 Million.
Upwork clients also contribute to the platform’s revenue. In fact, in the United States alone, employers contributed 73.07% of employer revenues for the company.
That came to $107.36 million in 2020. By now, this revenue has increased.
19. in May 2023, Upwork Retired Their Tiered Fee Structure.
In the first quarter shareholder letter, Upwork announced that they are retiring the tiered fee structure for freelancers.
The initial fee structure included 5%, 10%, and 20% depending on how much you had made per client.
This fee structure change should be better in the long run for all freelancers, except those who will enjoy the 5% fee until the end of 2023. After that, they will be moved to the 10% flat fee structure.
(Upwork Shareholder Letter 2023)
20. In The First Quarter of 2023, Upwork Reported that They Have Around 827,000 Active Clients.
According to the Q1 2023 shareholder letter, Upwork reported that their active client base was up by almost 2% quarter-over-quarter.
Moreover, as of March 2023, they have seen an increase in active clients of 4% year-over-year.
(Upwork Shareholder Letter 2023)
What Are Some of The Most Popular Skills on Upwork?
The most popular skills on Upwork are writing, design, development, and marketing.
Tech skills are among the top ten skills you need to get a good job on Upwork. If you know SEO, you can get a good writing gig.
If you know how to use AI to write, rewrite, or edit content, you can also use that skill.
What Are Some of The Most Popular Industries on Upwork?
The most popular industries on Upwork are IT and software, marketing and communications, design, writing, and customer service.
Some of these jobs expect experience, but there are ample jobs for those with little to no experience in customer service or writing. They will train you.
What Are Some of The Most Common Challenges that Freelancers Face?
Some of the most common challenges that freelancers face include finding clients, managing time, and dealing with stress.
Sometimes, the competition is fierce on Upwork, but that doesn’t mean there aren’t plenty of jobs available.
There’s no reason you can’t find work on this platform.
How Much Do Freelancers Make on Upwork?
Freelancers on Upwork can earn between $5,000 to over $100.000 per year.
However, earnings can vary depending on the freelancer’s skills, experience level, and location/region.
Some examples include, writers that charge $20 to $30 per hour can make over $40,000 per year.
Transcribers can make around $32,000 per year and bookkeepers can make up to $40,000 on the Upwork platform.
One of the highest paying jobs on Upwork involves skilled programmers who can make $120,000 on the platform.
How Do I Get Started on Upwork?
To get started on Upwork, you will need to create a profile and submit a proposal for a job that you are interested in.
Once you have been awarded a job, you will be able to start working and earning money.
Once you have a solid profile setup and you have your skills listed and some samples where applicable, you may also get messages from Upwork talent recruiters who will reach out when a job matches your qualifications.
Therefore, it’s an easy place to find work.
Is Upwork Safe?
Upwork is a safe platform for both businesses and freelancers.
The platform has a number of security features in place to protect users, and it also offers a dispute resolution process in case of any problems.
What Are Some Tips for Success on Upwork?
Here are some tips for success on Upwork:
• Create a strong profile that highlights your skills and experience.
• Submit proposals that are tailored to the specific job you are applying for.
• Be professional and responsive to clients.
• Deliver high-quality work on time and within budget.
Follow these tips and you should be able to find work in no time.
Upwork is a great platform for businesses and freelancers alike.
The platform offers a wide range of services and opportunities, and it is used by businesses of all sizes.
If you’re looking for a way to make money as a freelancer, Upwork is a great option.
We hope that the Upwork statistics for 2023 that we shared here are helpful to you no matter what your skillset or how you plan to use them.