If you have solid knowledge about carpentry, electrical, and/or plumbing, you can start your own handyman business with some essential tools and equipment.
You can start it part-time if you need to keep working your full-time job. Doing this part-time will help you build your reputation and clientele list while you concentrate on making this your full-time business.
Handyman Tools & Equipment
You will need at least a set of basic tools to perform any type of handyman services. Your tools and equipment costs will account for the largest investment you will make in your business.Use care when choosing your handyman tools and equipment.
Tools and equipment will be your biggest investment in yourself and your handyman business, you can still save money on used tools and equipment. Before choosing handyman tools and equipment (new or used), do your homework and read reviews to find the best tools.
Youshould consider a used vehicle that you use only for business and consider buying used equipment like ladders and other miscellaneous handyman tools and equipment.
Finding high-quality used tools and equipment for your handyman startup can help you save thousands. You can avoid excessive startup costs by only buying some tools as neededto expand your business.
List of Tools & Equipment
1) Hand Tools: Hand tools kits can be found in your local supermarket or department store. These kits include basic hand tools you will need for handyman work. This kit should include a hammer, wrenches, screwdrivers, pliers, files, chisels, vise grips, nails, Allen wrenches, screws, a square, tin snips, drywall inserts, paint scrapers, wire nuts plus other miscellaneous small parts.
2) Drills: An essential handyman tool is a drill. Find a quality set of cordless drills. You will need drills and bits to start your handyman business.
3) Safety Tools: Safety is extremely important in the handyman’s world. For your protection you should at least have eye and ear protection, a tool belt, latex gloves, dust masks, knee pads, and other such safety tools and equipment.
4) Tool Storage: Keeping your tools clean and organized is part of being a great handyman. You will need an appropriate tool cabinet complete with drawers so you can organize nails, screws, screwdrivers, hand tools, cordless tools, hammers, and other such handyman tools. Also look for portable tool storage for ease of taking your handyman tools along with you for your jobs.
5) Saws: While you may not require sawsat the start of your handyman business, you will need them sooner than later. Saws likehandsaws, jigsaws, hacksaws, miter saws, corded saws, circular saws, and reciprocating saws are a few of the types of saws you may need.
7) Plumbing Toolbox: Providing plumbing servicesrequires tools like pipe cutters, tapping tools, ratcheting pipe threading set, sink plungers, crimping tools, flaring tool kit, fire extinguisher, faucet puller, and other basic plumbing tools and supplies.
8) Painting Supplies: Even if you are not planning to do much painting in the beginning of your handyman business, it is still wise to have painting supplies on hand. You should have a nice range of paint brushes, special painting technique tools, rules, squares, staple guns, glue, mallets, chisels, and other precision painting tools and supplies.
9) Ladders: Ladders are imperative to the handyman. In your jobs you will sometimes need to climb to fix things. Consider the most common ladders used by handymen such as 4’ and 8’ stepladders as well as a 20’ extension ladder.
10) Lawn & Garden Tools: Part of being a handyman may include getting hired for lawn and garden work. You will want a lawn mower, rake, posthole digger, shovel, and trimmer to get those jobs done.
11) Cleaning Equipment & Supplies: Cleanup is not only appreciated by your clients but is part of providing quality services to them. You do not want to leave their home areas in a mess. They may not give you referrals. Plus, it is the right thing to do.
Handyman skills can help you to become your own boss, set your own hours, and enjoy a full-time income in time. Be sure to get the proper licensing and permits to do business according to your local governing authorities. You need to be sure you are legally able to perform handyman services.
It is crucial that you build your client base. Ask for referrals and reviews so you can become a handyman that people want to hire. Remember to provide quality services that will have your clients coming back for more and referring you to their friends and family.
Tip: Invest in some efficient handyman software to help you manage your client database, inventory, taxes, and other related business information.