These days, everyone is listening to music on their phones, and this is where platforms like SoundCloud have made life a lot easier.
Let’s take a look at what we think are some interesting SoundCloud statistics that you can use to market your brand online better – or just pique your interest in the music streaming platform.
- 1 What is SoundCloud?
- 2 Quick SoundCloud Statistics
- 3 Global Spending on Technology in 2019 Was More Than $3 Billion
- 4 SoundCloud Statistics for Business
- 4.1 SoundCloud has more than 175 million members
- 4.2 There are 76 active monthly listeners on the platform
- 4.3 SoundCloud has more than 272 million users in total
- 4.4 In 2017, more than 320 million listeners were active on the platform around the world
- 4.5 Users can listen to more than 200 million songs on SoundCloud
- 4.6 There are more than 20 million SoundCloud creators
- 4.7 SoundCloud’s revenue increased by 80% in 2017, topping $102 million
- 4.8 SoundCloud was worth $1 billion in 2017
- 4.9 SoundCloud laid off 40% of its staff in 2017
- 4.10 SoundCloud received investment from Temasek Holdings and The Raine Group in 2017
- 5 How Much Does SoundCloud Cost?
- 6 Final Thoughts
What is SoundCloud?
SoundCloud is the opportunity to upload and listen to music. You will be notified when there are new uploads that you could be interested in.
Needless to say, it’s really popular.
Quick SoundCloud Statistics
- SoundCloud has a reach of 175 million people each month.
- It has more than 76 million users every month.
- It had more than 272 million users in 2019.
- It had more than 320 million listeners around the world in 2017.
- Users on SoundCloud have access to more than 200 million songs.
- There are more than 20 million content creators on SoundCloud.
Global Spending on Technology in 2019 Was More Than $3 Billion
These days, there are more than 4.4 billion people around the world that use the internet, so it’s no surprise that technology revenue is so much. Every day, there are more than 1 million new users that join the internet ranks.
Did you know that SoundCloud has officially been around for 12 years now? It was started in Sweden by Eric Wahlforss and Alex Ljung, two engineering students who didn’t like the range of music platforms that were currently available.
They wanted to come up with something that made it a lot easier for music lovers and musicians to connect through music.
SoundCloud Statistics for Business
SoundCloud has more than 175 million members
There are more than 200 million people that check out SoundCloud’s platform every month.
There are 76 active monthly listeners on the platform
And 35% of SoundCloud’s audience is between the ages of 18 and 35. If you use SoundCloud on a basic level, it’s free, and even the price of a subscription isn’t going to break the bank.
SoundCloud has more than 272 million users in total
In 2017, more than 320 million listeners were active on the platform around the world
2017 was a year of success and failure for SoundCloud, but as you can see from the statistic above, it was more about success than anything.
Users can listen to more than 200 million songs on SoundCloud
The company announced at the beginning of the year that it now had more than 200 million songs to share with its listeners.
Compare this to 2016, when SoundCloud only had 125 million songs.
The best part is that you can find music in all kinds of different niches and genres to listen to.
There are more than 20 million SoundCloud creators
What about the people that use SoundCloud to produce and share music? There are now more than 20 million of them.
There are lots of now well-known artists that got their start on SoundCloud, including Chance the Rapper, Metro Boomin, and Lil Uzi.
SoundCloud’s revenue increased by 80% in 2017, topping $102 million
SoundCloud is a little bit up and down when it comes to its revenue.
Because it has had both great and not-so-great years. In 2016, it was $53 million, but in 2017, it was $102 million.
SoundCloud was worth $1 billion in 2017
There were a number of other streaming platforms interested in purchasing SoundCloud in 2017, including Google and Spotify.
Google offered $500 million.
SoundCloud laid off 40% of its staff in 2017
Remember how we mentioned that things have been a bit up and down?
Well, in 2017 SoundCloud had to lay off 40% of its staff and close the offices that it had in San Francisco and London.
SoundCloud received investment from Temasek Holdings and The Raine Group in 2017
This kept it afloat, allowing it to overcome those financial difficulties that could have potentially meant its premature end.
How Much Does SoundCloud Cost?
If you still haven’t checked out SoundCloud, then you’re probably wondering how much it’s going to set you back.
- SoundCloud Pro Unlimited: this is going to cost you $12 a month, and gives you access to unlimited upload time, as well as scheduled releases.
- SoundCloud Pro: this is going to cost you $6 a month and lets you put your account in quiet mode. You can also spotlight your tracks and playlists on your account.
- SoundCloud Basic: this is the free version, but it of course comes with its limitations. However, you still have access to a diverse range of tracks.
SoundCloud is obviously one of the biggest music streaming platforms in the world right now, but it hasn’t gotten to where it is today without a bit of difficulty.
Luckily, it has managed to turn things around and maintains its place as one of the most popular platforms on the internet to listen to music. Have fun out there!