Full stack specialists can be called the most versatile professionals among web developers: they are equally well versed in all the intricacies of creating a front-end and back-end.
A full stack developer knows how to create the client and server side of an application; knows how to work with databases, API, and version control systems. In this article, we will consider all requirements of a full stack developer you should consider when choosing a team for your project.
- 1 What Does A Full-stack Developer Do?
- 2 What Does Frontend Development Involve?
- 3 What Is Included In The Backend?
- 4 The Beginning Of A Full Stack Developer’s Career
- 5 What A Full Stack Developer Should Know
- 6 Choosing The Optimal Technology Stack
- 7 Flexible Skills
- 8 Summary
What Does A Full-stack Developer Do?
To understand the features of the tasks that a full-stack specialist solves, you need to clearly understand the specifics of websites – as a rule, they consist of two parts: client (interface) and server.
Any online or mobile application consists of a front-end (visible client side) and a back-end (invisible back-end). For this reason, a full-stack developer is expected to thoroughly understand and fully implement the front-end and back-end of an application.
What Does Frontend Development Involve?
Frontend development involves creating a user interface with all its interactive features. Before starting the project, the developer must determine what data will be entered by the user – for example, location, contact, and personal information.
What Is Included In The Backend?
Backend is the invisible server side of sites and applications processes, stores in databases and provides, upon request, user information that the frontend collects. All dynamic and multifunctional sites require a backend.
The Beginning Of A Full Stack Developer’s Career
Many programmers conclude that it is difficult to combine front-end and server-side development. To become a full-stack specialist, it is better to start with either front-end development or back-end development, and later, having acquired the necessary qualifications and experience, take on the second part. To get started, take on a thorough study of all the features of the programming language on which the part you need is based.
What A Full Stack Developer Should Know
To shorten the learning process, you need to follow a clear plan. Here is a list of what you need to learn to become a full stack specialist:
- technology stack selection criteria;
- backend development process;
- creating a frontend;
- version control system;
Let’s take a closer look at the technical skills you need to acquire:
1. Understanding Web Application Architecture
An experienced full-stack developer can create and implement a concept from scratch. At the same time, the specialist is guided by the technical and functional criteria for the future web application.
2. HTML And CSS
These languages are the basis of front-end development. Using HTML, the developer defines the structure of web pages. CSS is used to create design and styling. To create interactive web applications with a unique and intuitive interface, a full-stack developer must be fluent in HTML and CSS.
4. Git And GitHub
Git is the most popular distributed version control system. This system facilitates the development:
- It speeds up the process and improves work efficiency when creating projects of any size.
- It allows developers to manage any changes in the code of applications, sites, and technical documentation.
- It [provides secure collaboration on a project.
- Professional developers usually work with the system using a GitHub account. To work with Git, developers need to learn the basic commands of the system.
5. Programming Languages For Backend Development
Several technologies are used to develop the back end of web applications. The most popular include:
- PHP is a scripting language for developing dynamic online applications. PHP and the framework based on it Laravel is in the lead in terms of demand.
- Python – Django and Flask frameworks based on this language are rapidly gaining popularity among web developers.
- Ruby is a powerful dynamic language with a simple and concise syntax.
- Java is best suited for creating a backend for cross-platform applications. It has some powerful frameworks.
- HTTP, REST, and SOAP
Knowledge of REST helps developers create scalable applications where all systems communicate easily. REST services act as intermediaries between the backend and frontend and allow you to make the best use of the capabilities of the HTTP protocol.
The HTTP protocol is used to transfer data from the server to the client, while SOAP is used to exchange messages in XML format.
Any dynamic website or application needs a database to function. A full stack developer needs to know when and how to use:
- relational and non-relational databases;
- DOM storage, XML and JSON formats.
NPM package manager
NPM is part of Node.js. It helps manage dependencies and package installations and prevents conflicts. It has flexible settings and is used at all stages of application development.
Choosing The Optimal Technology Stack
Each task requires its own set (stack) of technologies. A professional full-stack developer constantly monitors and studies new technologies to be able to choose the optimal basis for the implementation of a particular project. Among the most popular stacks:
- LAMP – Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP;
- MERN – MongoDB, Express, React, Node;
- MEAN – MongoDB, Express, Angular, Node;
- Django is a complete stack based on Python.
In addition to technical knowledge and experience, a full-stack developer needs the following soft skills to effectively solve complex problems:
- effective oral and written business communication;
- desire to acquire new knowledge;
- teamwork skills;
- rational time management;
- creative mindset;
- attention to detail;
A full stack developer is a versatile specialist who can independently implement a turnkey project, covering both backend and frontend.
The demand for universal developers remains consistently high, as they are the ones who are preferred to be involved in the development of powerful and scalable business applications.
If you are looking for such a specialist to turn an idea into a fully functioning software product contact the Aleph1 company. The company specializes in the development of blockchain and fintech products