This guide reveals meditation statistics and habits of people around the world
The latest statistics show that the number of people who turn to meditation has surged within the last few years, due to better access to information and its potential benefits.
Just a few years ago, meditation was largely seen as being a practice for seeking spiritual purposes or enlightenment, but this perspective has changed as it has become more mainstream and is now quite a common tool that is used for a variety of purposes by people in a wide range of demographics.
Let’s take a look at some of the more intriguing statistics for 2024.
- 1 Key Meditation Statistics 2024
- 2 Top Meditation Statistics for 2024
- 2.1 1. More than 15% of American Adults Have Tried Meditation at Least Once in Their Lives.
- 2.2 2. Individuals Practicing Meditation Have Tripled Since 2012.
- 2.3 3. A Survey in 2017 Shows Body and Mind Practices Across Different Us Geographies.
- 2.4 4. More than 5% of Children in The US Undergo Meditation Practices.
- 2.5 5. Women Are More Likely to Meditate Compared to Men.
- 2.6 6. Adults Between the Ages of 45-64 Meditate More Compared to The Younger Generation. Data Shows They Hold 16% of the Statistic Irrespective of Gender.
- 3 Meditation Revenue 2024
- 3.1 1. The net worth of the meditation industries was more than $1 billion in 2015.
- 3.2 2. The worth of the meditation industry was $1.2 billion in 2017 and would reach $2 billion before the end of 2022.
- 3.3 3. Product sales on ten popular meditation apps generated close to $200 million in 2019.
- 3.4 4. Popular Meditation App Headspace Experienced 65 Million Downloads Over Time.
- 4 The Importance of Meditation
- 4.1 1. The number one reason why people meditate is for general well-being.
- 4.2 2. If You Experience Insomnia, Try Meditating as It Helps Reduce Sleep Disturbance by 50%.
- 4.3 3. Individuals Who Suffer from Back Pain experience 30% Improvement After Meditation to Enable Them to Go About Their Daily Tasks Compared to Those Who Use only Drugs.
- 4.4 4. Meditating Helps Reduce the Chance of Coronary Heart Disease by More than 85%, as Meditation Practitioners Confirm This Fact.
- 4.5 5. When You Meditate, It Reduces Depression Relapses up To 15%.
- 4.6 6. Mindfulness Practices Reduce Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) Chances by 73%.
- 4.7 7. Some Experts Confirm that Meditation Increases the Release of An Enzyme Called Telomerase that Helps Prevent Diseases Like Alzheimer’s. It Reduces This Onset by 44%.
- 4.8 8. About 30% of Individuals that Meditate Have Unpalatable Psychological Experiences.
- 5 Workplace Meditation
- 6 Effect of Meditation on Classroom Activities
- 7 Top Meditation Facts
- 8 Conclusion
- 9 Sources
Key Meditation Statistics 2024
- More than 10% of the US adult population has tried meditation at some point in their lives.
- From 2012 to date, the number of people practicing meditation has tripled.
- More than 5% of the US children’s population meditate.
- The population of women meditating is more than men.
- The net worth of the meditation market has doubled within the last six years.
- In 2019, the top 10 meditation apps generated up to $200 million.
- The number one reason why people meditate is to improve general wellness.
- A study shows that the figures from people that meditate worldwide is somewhere between 200-500 million.
Top Meditation Statistics for 2024
1. More than 15% of American Adults Have Tried Meditation at Least Once in Their Lives.
With an adult population of more than 250 million, about 40 million work out periodically.
Research published in 2014 suggested that 40% of the population meditate at least once weekly. Pew Research Centre confirmed this report.
This stat proves that while meditation hasn’t always been the most popular form of exercise for Americans, it is proving to be more and more popular as time goes on.
The fact that 40% of the population meditates at least once a week is also remarkable, especially for a western country.
2. Individuals Practicing Meditation Have Tripled Since 2012.
Other research in 2012 shows chiropractic care, meditation and yoga are standard body and mind practices in the US. Complementary and Integrative Health conducted this study.
Meditation is the second most popular after yoga, as chiropractic care holds third place. The body and mind practices have huge growing trends.
3. A Survey in 2017 Shows Body and Mind Practices Across Different Us Geographies.
The popular practices are rated in percentages as Meditation(14.2%), Yoga(14.3%) and chiropractor (10.3%).
The great news is that with this stat, you know that meditation is about so much more than just exercise – it is a holistic approach to health that can manifest itself in a number of different ways. Meditation has a way of helping your body and your mind at the same time.
4. More than 5% of Children in The US Undergo Meditation Practices.
This statistic recorded in 2017 shows a drastic increase from the previous 1.6% in 2012.
Elementary schools in America now include meditation/mindfulness practices as a branch of the curriculum.
The increasing number of meditations could be associated with people’s opinion that it helps relieve anxiety and stress and helps improve the mental strength of children.
Among different religious groups, Buddhists and Hindus meditate the most.
You might be surprised to learn that American children are getting in on the meditation trend, but this stat shows just how popular it is getting, even among kids.
It’s cool to see that elementary schools in the states are incorporating different ways of health and exercise into their curriculum.
America is strife with mental health issues both in adults and children, including things like depression and anxiety, so coming up with holistic solutions that avoid traditional medication is a great option.
5. Women Are More Likely to Meditate Compared to Men.
A study by National Health Interview Survey shows the data of women to men meditation comparison. The 2017 data report women as 16.3% while men are 12%.
There is ongoing research on why women meditate more than men, as statistics show they enjoy more benefits.
Some experts believe that it can also be related to processing emotional distress.
Men can be outspoken with their feelings, whereas women ruminate when bothered about an issue. This emotional response could be an excellent approach to a solution if utilized effectively.
Women are known for externalizing their feelings as well, but sometimes it’s helpful if they have a practical solution to an internal problem.
Again, similar to children, it’s better for women and men to be able to resort to something that is non-invasive than to have to think about going on medication and having to manage their emotional issues on an ongoing basis without any long-term success.
Meditation can help solve this problem, as it is something that both men and women can do on a daily basis for long-term benefits, and there are no side effects like there are associated with medication.
6. Adults Between the Ages of 45-64 Meditate More Compared to The Younger Generation. Data Shows They Hold 16% of the Statistic Irrespective of Gender.
Yes, meditation practices are common across different age groups as stats show that 45-65 and 18-44 years meditate more.
Below is the data representation in statistics; 18-44 (13.4%), 65+ (13.4%) and 45-64 years (15.9%).
While this stat shows that there are more older adults that are into meditation right now, this certainly doesn’t mean that the younger generation will pick up on it at some point and capitalize on a practice that has been helping people for hundreds of years.
While more adults that are older might be more familiar with the concept of meditation, it has become a growing trend among millennials and is only set to become more popular as time goes on.
Meditation Revenue 2024
Stats show that many individuals are generating revenue from meditation practices, primarily through product development.
1. The net worth of the meditation industries was more than $1 billion in 2015.
2. The worth of the meditation industry was $1.2 billion in 2017 and would reach $2 billion before the end of 2022.
3. Product sales on ten popular meditation apps generated close to $200 million in 2019.
If you are planning on getting into the meditation industry on any level, then the stats prove that this could end up being an extremely lucrative venture.
Having a slice of $1 billion is bound to change anyone’s life, and if you have the right target market and the right branding, as well as the right product, there’s no telling what you can achieve.
The good news is that you can even produce a product around meditation from home at this point, as there are plenty of meditation apps now available to help users through their daily routines.
Individuals on popular apps like Calm, Headspace, are 10% are happier after the practice, as data showed 52% in 2018. With the covid19 pandemic in 2020, the figure should increase soon.
4. Popular Meditation App Headspace Experienced 65 Million Downloads Over Time.
Clients love Headspace because it provides short sessions, some of which are free, while others come with a monthly subscription plan.
In addition, you can check out ten meditation gift ideas on the app. Research proves that more than 30% of gamers meditate regularly.
Of course, you might be a little intimidated by this statistic, but only if you are on the marketing side.
If you are on the consumer side, then you might want to check out Headspace, as it has quickly proven itself to be the most popular meditation app in the industry.
It can make it a lot easier to get to know how mediation can work for you, and what you can do to achieve your personal meditation goals quicker.
The Importance of Meditation
Meditation provides both mental and physical advantages. They include:
1. The number one reason why people meditate is for general well-being.
In 2016, there was research conducted to ascertain the health benefits of meditation and understanding its practices.
Below are some stats around why people meditate: Improving energy(60%), General wellness(76.2%), Anxiety(29.2%), concentration(50%), depression(50%) and depression(17.8%).
More than 60% of individuals from the data percentage above confirm that meditation improves their well-being.
Again, here are some stats that show the benefits of meditation in a holistic sense. While you might think about meditation as a physical workout – and it is – it can also have advantages for your mind.
When you incorporate breathing with physical movement, you are able to connect body and mind together and align your general health and well-being.
2. If You Experience Insomnia, Try Meditating as It Helps Reduce Sleep Disturbance by 50%.
Stanford University Medical Center conducted a study in 2008 before concluding that mindfulness practices help reduce sleeping problems.
You can research how meditation improves sleep statistics. Sleep disorder is a huge issue in the US, so experts advise a few minute meditations before sleep.
With so many people suffering from sleep issues, it’s no wonder that you might want to jump on the opportunity to try meditation as an antidote.
Again, this is another stat that proves that meditation is a great alternative to conventional methods for sleep disorders, which a lot of the time include harmful medication that has detrimental side effects.
If you want to find a natural, gentle way to get a better night’s sleep, then you might want to consider picking up meditation.
3. Individuals Who Suffer from Back Pain experience 30% Improvement After Meditation to Enable Them to Go About Their Daily Tasks Compared to Those Who Use only Drugs.
In every six back pain sufferers, at least two confirm that they find it challenging to carry out their daily tasks.
The study suggests other approaches to finding lasting solutions to the problem. Interestingly, meditation improves sex as well.
The same thing that we said about sleep goes for back pain. Perhaps you are someone who doesn’t like taking medication for other reasons, but one of the biggest reasons not to take it is to avoid those costly side effects.
There is also the risk that you will become dependent on the medication to manage your condition, and the long-term benefits of pain medication for back pain don’t really exist.
It’s much better to explore a holistic, non-invasive solution for your back pain so that you can treat it effectively and potentially even cure it somewhere along the line.
Pills are used to manage a condition, whereas alternative practices like meditation are used to treat it.
4. Meditating Helps Reduce the Chance of Coronary Heart Disease by More than 85%, as Meditation Practitioners Confirm This Fact.
Research conducted in 1989 shows that mantra meditation works like magic in preventing heart illnesses. For affirmation, 15 years after the first research, the result remains the same.
Some experts suggested that techniques used to conclude this information have reduced CV mortality compared to people who did not participate in the study.
However, further investigation shows that the 1989 research focuses on 73 individuals as there is still ongoing study about the effect of meditation on heart ailment.
You might be surprised reading this stat if you have been told by your doctor that due to your heart issues, you cannot partake in vigorous exercise.
However, the good news is that meditation isn’t vigorous, and it isn’t going to overwork your heart.
In fact, it is going to have the opposite effect and calm it, so that you can enjoy the benefits of meditation without increasing your risk of a heart attack.
5. When You Meditate, It Reduces Depression Relapses up To 15%.
A study by the University of Colorado involves a group of pregnant women to ascertain the risk of having postpartum depression after birth.
Results show that those that adhere to a meditation plan experience an 18% relapse rate compared to an overall 30%. So, if you experience a poor attention span, try meditating.
Within four days, you will notice improvement.
If you have been pregnant before, then you will know that back pain during pregnancy can be debilitating.
However, doctors are hesitant to prescribe any type of medication during pregnancy, especially if they believe that it can have a negative effect on the baby.
Meditating during pregnancy for back pain is a great way to get great, long-term results, without having to take something for it that you’re not comfortable with.
6. Mindfulness Practices Reduce Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) Chances by 73%.
A study conducted in 2018 shows that meditation helps reduce PTSD symptoms associated with self-blame & numbing cognitions. In addition, the report concluded that mindfulness helps to project positive feelings.
7. Some Experts Confirm that Meditation Increases the Release of An Enzyme Called Telomerase that Helps Prevent Diseases Like Alzheimer’s. It Reduces This Onset by 44%.
This amazing stat proves that alternative treatments to degenerative conditions can bring relief to the patients that traditional medication can’t offer them.
The more that can be offered to patients suffering from degenerative conditions like this when it comes to management, the better.
Telomerase enzymes help to protect chromosomes and DNA strands. Unfortunately, as we grow older, the lid’s release continues to get shorter, thereby making you vulnerable to Alzheimer’s.
A study shows that by meditating, you can increase the release of telomerase enzymes. The groundbreaking research occurred in 2015.
8. About 30% of Individuals that Meditate Have Unpalatable Psychological Experiences.
The statistic above proves that despite the numerous benefits meditation provides, not everyone will have a pleasant experience.
Research involving 1,300 individuals reports adverse effects like distorted emotions, fear, and anxiety; about one-quarter undergo psychological trauma.
Although some professionals deemed the methodology too easy, researchers call for more investigation into how meditation affects mental health conditions.
Apart from the health benefits it provides, meditation can be an effective tool to improve productivity at the workplace.
1. A Survey in 2018 Shows that More than 50% of Employers Provide Meditation Training for Their Staff.
The result was a 36% increase compared to the previous year.
The National Business Group on Health (NBGH) confirms that more corporate bodies are introducing stress reduction programs to increase the productivity of their workers.
2. Meditation Improves Staff Productivity by 120%, According to Research.
A chemical plant in Detroit had a study in the late 19th century to determine how meditation affects employees.
The study used Transcendental Meditation, which means members were to meditate at least twice daily for six months.
The stats show that profit increased by 520%, injuries dropped to 70%, and absenteeism was less than 80%.
Effect of Meditation on Classroom Activities
Below is evidence of the positive results of meditation in the class and how it improves a child’s learning.
1. In 2012, More than 90 Schools Featured Meditation as A Course in Their Curriculum. the 91 Schools Are Across 13 States.
Although the current number of schools offering meditation as part of their curriculum in the US is not confirmed yet, educational experts have suggested it should be an integral part of learning.
About 41,000 teachers in the United States use the Calm app for classroom and home learning activities.
2. Statistics Show that Student’s Suspension Rates Reduced by 45% After Introducing Programs that Improve Mental Wellness in A School.
Visitacion Valley Middle School has increased cases of violence. Therefore, the school authorities introduced ‘Quiet Time’ to put an end to violence.
Likewise, the students could learn better with group meditation.
After a month of the program, they reported a 98% happiness level in the state school survey after a year.
Top Meditation Facts
Statistics about meditation show that while this widespread practice originated from India, it is now a global phenomenon as people understand the inner power that reflection provides.
1. the Number of People Who Meditate Across Different World Is Between 200 and 500 Million, a Positive Increase Year-On-Year.
2. the Global Wellness Industry Confirms that Meditation Is Worth More than $4.2 Trillion, and It Should Increase by 30% Before the End of 2022.
To determine which country meditates the most might be difficult.
However, a report by Google Trends shows that Australia and Ireland hold the first spot in countries that have searched for information relating to meditation within the last 12 months.
Meditation helps reduce violence in society. This practice held a significant role in ending the war in Lebanon. After peace assemblies in Jerusalem, there was a 75% reduction in war-related death.
Meditation statistics for 2024 show that it has provided many benefits for a range of demographics worldwide.
You can get premium services on meditation apps like the Calm app and others at a reasonable price (some are free!).
Comment below and let us know how meditation has improved your well-being!