Are you an EBT cardholder wondering if you can use your benefits to shop on Amazon?
The answer is yes!
Amazon has partnered with the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) to allow customers with a valid SNAP EBT card in all states except Alaska to use their benefits to purchase eligible grocery items on Amazon’s online store but how to use EBT on Amazon?
To get started, simply add eligible items to your cart and proceed to checkout.
During the checkout process, select “EBT” as your payment method and enter your EBT card information.
If you are eligible, you will be able to apply your benefits to your purchase.
It’s important to note that not all items on Amazon are eligible for purchase with EBT benefits.
Eligible items include food and other household essentials, but items such as electronics and clothing are not covered.
Additionally, you cannot use your EBT card to pay for Amazon Prime membership.
- 1 What is EBT?
- 2 Eligibility for Using EBT on Amazon
- 3 Setting Up Your Amazon Account for EBT
- 4 How to Use EBT on Amazon
- 5 Discounts and Savings with EBT on Amazon
- 6 Key Takeaways
What is EBT?
If you are a low-income household or living in poverty, you may have heard of the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) or EBT.
EBT stands for Electronic Benefits Transfer, which is a system used to distribute government assistance programs, including SNAP, to eligible individuals and families.
SNAP is a federal program aimed at providing nutrition assistance to low-income individuals and families.
The program helps eligible households buy healthy food by providing them with benefits on an EBT card, which works like a debit card.
The benefits can be used to purchase food items at participating retailers, including Amazon.
EBT is used to distribute other government assistance programs beyond SNAP and WIC.
The EBT card can be used to pay for eligible purchases on Amazon and also get a pass to a range of benefits, including discounted Amazon Prime membership.
If you are eligible for SNAP benefits, you can use your EBT card to purchase eligible food items on Amazon.
Amazon has partnered with the U.S. government to allow EBT cards for SNAP to be used as a payment method on SNAP eligible items in select states.
To use your SNAP EBT card, visit www.amazon.com/snap and follow the instructions on the screen.
If you are not already an Amazon customer, you will need to create an account.
There are also opportunities to add an EBT card during checkout or in your wallet.
It is important to note that you cannot use your EBT card to pay for your Prime membership.
However, if you qualify for government assistance programs, including SNAP, you may be eligible for discounted Amazon Prime membership.
To qualify, select your qualifying government assistance program and upload a photo of your EBT card or eligibility letter.
Then enter a payment method to use after your free trial ends.
Eligibility for Using EBT on Amazon
If you have a valid Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) card, you may be eligible to use it on Amazon to purchase eligible items.
Amazon has partnered with the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) to allow EBT cards for the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) to be used as a payment method on SNAP-eligible items in select states.
Currently, customers with a valid SNAP EBT card in all states except Alaska can use their SNAP funds on Amazon.
In addition to SNAP, you may also be eligible to use your EBT card on Amazon if you are enrolled in other government assistance programs such as Women, Infants, and Children (WIC), Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), or Puerto Rico’s Nutrition Assistance Program (NAP).
However, it’s important to note that eligibility for using EBT on Amazon may vary by state.
If you are unsure whether you are eligible to use your EBT card on Amazon, you can check with your state’s EBT customer service.
Here is a list of some states where using EBT on Amazon may be relevant:
- Louisiana: EBT cardholders in Louisiana can use their benefits to purchase eligible food items on Amazon.
- Montana: EBT cardholders in Montana can use their benefits to purchase eligible food items on Amazon.
- Alabama: EBT cardholders in Alabama can use their benefits to purchase eligible food items on Amazon.
- District of Columbia: EBT cardholders in the District of Columbia can use their benefits to purchase eligible food items on Amazon.
- New York: EBT cardholders in New York can use their benefits to purchase eligible food items on Amazon.
- Alaska and Hawaii: Currently, EBT cardholders in Alaska and Hawaii are not able to use their benefits on Amazon. However, Amazon is working with the USDA to expand the program to these states in the future.
To use your EBT card on Amazon, you will need to select the option to pay with SNAP EBT at checkout.
You will then be prompted to enter your EBT card information and a valid PIN.
It’s important to note that you cannot use your EBT card to pay for shipping or delivery fees on Amazon.
Setting Up Your Amazon Account for EBT
If you have an EBT card and want to use it to shop on Amazon, you’ll need to set up your Amazon account to accept EBT as a payment method.
Here are the steps you need to follow:
- Create an Amazon account: If you don’t already have an Amazon account, go to www.amazon.com and sign up for one. You’ll need to provide your name, email address, and a password to create an account.
- Add your EBT card to your Amazon account: Once you’ve created your account, go to the “Payment Options” section of your account settings. From there, you can add your EBT card as a payment method. You’ll need to enter the card number and expiration date, as well as the name on the card and the billing address associated with the card.
- Verify your EBT card: After you’ve added your EBT card to your Amazon account, you’ll need to verify it. Amazon will send an email to the address associated with your account with instructions on how to verify your card. Follow the instructions in the email to complete the verification process.
- Shop for eligible items: Once your EBT card is verified, you can start shopping for eligible items on Amazon. Look for items that are marked “SNAP EBT eligible” or “Amazon Fresh EBT eligible” to ensure that you can use your EBT card to pay for them.
- Check out with your EBT card: When you’re ready to check out, select your EBT card as the payment method. You’ll need to enter your PIN to complete the transaction.
Note that you do not need to have an Amazon Prime membership to use your EBT card on Amazon.
However, if you do have a Prime membership, you can get a discount on your membership fees if you qualify for certain government assistance programs.
To learn more about discounted Prime memberships for EBT cardholders, visit www.amazon.com/qualify.
How to Use EBT on Amazon
If you have an Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) card, you can use it to pay for eligible grocery items on Amazon.com.
Here’s how you can use your SNAP EBT card on Amazon:
- Visit www.amazon.com/snap and follow the instructions on the screen to create an account if you don’t already have one.
- Once you’re signed in, you can browse through the Amazon Fresh store in select regions or Amazon groceries nationwide to find SNAP eligible items.
- Look for items labeled “SNAP EBT Eligible” to ensure that your purchases are eligible for payment with your SNAP EBT card.
- Add the items you want to purchase to your cart.
- During checkout, select “EBT” as your payment method and enter your SNAP EBT card information.
- If you have other payment methods, you can split the payment between your SNAP EBT card and another payment method.
- Once your order is placed, you will receive a confirmation email with the details of your order.
It’s important to note that not all items on Amazon are eligible for purchase with SNAP EBT.
However, you can use your SNAP EBT card to purchase a variety of items, including meat, produce, dairy products, shelf-stable food, and household items.
Additionally, it’s worth noting that alcohol, tobacco, and pet food are not eligible for purchase with SNAP EBT.
If you have Amazon Prime, you can also get free shipping or free delivery on eligible orders.
Overall, using your SNAP EBT card on Amazon can be a convenient way to purchase groceries and household items online.
By following these simple steps, you can ensure that your purchases are eligible for payment with your SNAP EBT card and enjoy the convenience of shopping on Amazon.
Discounts and Savings with EBT on Amazon
If you are an EBT cardholder, you can take advantage of discounted prices and exclusive deals on Amazon.
Here are some ways to save money on Amazon with your EBT card:
Discounted Prime Membership
With your EBT card, you may qualify for discounted Amazon Prime membership.
This membership offers a range of benefits, including free two-day shipping, unlimited streaming of movies and TV shows, and access to exclusive deals.
The discounted membership fee is $5.99 per month, which is 50% off the regular monthly price.
To sign up for discounted Prime membership, you need to have a valid EBT card for any of the following programs: Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), or Women, Infants, and Children (WIC).
Once you have verified your eligibility, you can enjoy all the benefits of Prime membership at a reduced price.
In addition to discounted Prime membership, EBT cardholders can also enjoy exclusive discounts on a range of products on Amazon.
These discounts are available on items such as groceries, household essentials, and baby products.
You can easily find these deals by searching for “EBT eligible” or “SNAP eligible” items on Amazon.
Savings on Bulk Purchases
If you are looking to save money on bulk purchases, Amazon offers a range of options for EBT cardholders.
You can buy items in bulk and save money on your purchases.
Amazon also offers free shipping on eligible orders of $35 or more.
Amazon Pantry and Gourmet Food
If you are looking for pantry staples or gourmet food items, Amazon has got you covered.
With your EBT card, you can shop for a range of groceries and gourmet food items on Amazon.
You can also take advantage of exclusive deals and discounts on these items.
It’s important to note that not all states are currently eligible for EBT on Amazon.
However, Amazon is constantly expanding its EBT program to include more states.
Currently, the following states are eligible for EBT on Amazon: Alabama, Arizona, California, Connecticut, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Tennessee, Texas, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, and Wisconsin.
Using your EBT card on Amazon can be a great way to access nutritious food, essential items, and exclusive deals at low prices from the comfort of your own home.
Here are some key takeaways to keep in mind when using Amazon with your EBT card:
- Amazon is part of a pilot program run by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) to accept SNAP EBT online.
- Customers with a valid SNAP EBT card in all states except Alaska can use their SNAP funds on Amazon to purchase eligible grocery items.
- You can also use your EBT card to purchase seeds and plants that produce food for your household to eat.
- Amazon offers a wide selection of grocery items, including fresh produce, meat, dairy, and pantry staples, as well as snacks and gift baskets.
- When shopping on Amazon with your EBT card, you can filter your search results to show only eligible items by selecting “SNAP EBT” as your payment method.
- Amazon also offers free shipping on eligible orders over $25, which can help you save money on home delivery.
- During public health crises, such as pandemics or natural disasters, Amazon may offer additional benefits and resources to EBT customers to help them access food and essential items.
Overall, using your EBT card on Amazon can be a convenient and affordable way to access healthy food and essential items, especially if you have limited access to transportation or live in a food desert.
By taking advantage of Amazon’s exclusive deals and free shipping offers, you can stretch your SNAP benefits further and make your grocery dollars go further.