Unlike Facebook and Twitter which have been out since forever, Discord is a newcomer in the field.
Despite this, the platform reached success in a short amount of time.
How long has Discord been out?
When was it founded?
Let’s find out the answer to one of Google’s frequently-searched questions.
How Long Has Discord Been Out?
Since 2015 – that is when Discord was founded.
In that short span, it has managed to become one of the most-known communication platforms across the globe.
Discord has officially launched in May 2015, a brainchild of two founders sharing their love for video games.
According to the site’s About Page, founders Jason Citron and Stan Vishnevskiy wanted to solve a problem relevant to many people globally: the lack of space where people can safely communicate with their friends while playing video games.
Yes, Discord is a video game platform after all.
But over the years since its founding, it upgraded itself as a site where people from all walks of life and varied interests can interact; from cooking, baking, and gourmet to family spaces and science groups, name it and Discord has it.
Discord is Not an Overnight Success
Now that you know how long has Discord been out, you must also know that it is not an overnight success.
It had gone through a series of challenges during its early years – it only had 25 million registered users during its first year in the market.
This is at a time when Facebook already amassed a billion users, putting difficult competition on the line.
Here is what Discord’s user registration data looked like over the years:
- 2016 – the platform is home to 25 million registered users during the year
- 2017 – the platform is home to 45 million registered users during the year
- 2018 – the platform is home to 130 million registered users during the year
- 2019 – the platform is home to 250 million registered users during the year
- 2020 – the platform is home to 300 million registered users during the year
- 2021 – the platform is home to 350 million registered users during the year
When Did Discord Start Becoming Popular?
Discord was at the right place at the right time when the market started embracing video streaming.
The first traces of Discord’s popularity can be traced back to 2018, at a time when it managed to grow its user base from 45 million to 130 million in just a year.
Since then, it maintained its superstar status.
Thanks to the opportunities brought by the pandemic, Discord saw its valuation grow from $1.6 billion in 2017 to $15 billion in 2021.
Discord’s Latest Metrics
According to the site, Discord currently holds 150 million monthly active users, with 19 million active servers weekly.
Users clock four billion server conversation minutes every day, showing how invested users are in using the platform.
Largest Discord Servers
In its seven years in the market, Discord has become a safe space for users wanting to be a part of communities they are interested in.
Today, here are the largest servers on Discord in terms of the number of concurrent members:
- Rocket League – created in February 2016, this server is home to 587,000 members
- Tommyinnit’s Discord – created in April 2017, this server is home to 641,000 members
- Axie Infinity – created in February 2018, this server is home to 663,000 members
- MrBeast Gaming – created in May 2020, this server is home to 714,000 members
- Lofi Girl – created in May 2020, this server is home to 790,000 members
- MINECRAFT – created in April 2017, this server is home to 900,000 members
- Roblox – created in February 2016, this server is home to 918,000 members
- Official Fortnite – created in June 2017, this server is home to 985,000 members
- Genshin Impact Official – created in December 2018, this server is home to 1 million members
- Valorant – created in February 2020, this server is home to 1.1 million members
- Open AI – created in April 2022, this server is home to 1.2 million members
- Midjourney – created in January 2020, this server is home to 6.8 million members
Thanks for reading our article on how long has Discord been out.
The platform has been in circulation for only seven years, but it has quickly reached success in such a short period of time.
More than ever, people love sharing spaces with like-minded individuals they can learn and discuss valuable information with.