- 1 What is Discord?
- 2 Key Discord Statistics
- 3 The Vision Behind Discord
- 4 What Are the Advantages of Using Discord?
- 5 What Are the Security Features in Discord?
- 6 Yearly Revenue Growth of Discord
- 7 How Does Discord Maintain Performance?
- 8 How Many People Use Discord?
- 9 Funding Statistics of Discord
- 10 What Is the Market Value of Discord?
- 11 What Are the Future Plans of Discord?
What is Discord?
Discord started its journey in 2015. Jason Citron, the founder, brought Discord into the market where Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) giants like Skype and TeamSpeak were already rooted.
Even though Discord was introduced as a communication platform for Gamers, it got massive support from audiences from different niches like artists, software programmers, artists, various study groups, and even hikers.
Earlier, Discord focused on video gaming. Later, Discord understood that the chat system developed for gamer interaction is prominent over the video games they made, which was the turning point.
The company has evolved a lot after this “turning point.” They had undergone drastic changes that reshaped the company and overcame many uncertainties and peer pressure from competitors.
As soon as the communication application became popular among the gamers, the next door opened, making the team widen their horizon to all other groups.
Key Discord Statistics
- Discord has 150 million monthly active users
- As of 2021, there are 390 million registered Discord users
- The annual revenue of Discord is nearly 130 million US Dollars
- The premium option of the Discord named Nitro is the primary revenue source of the company. Users can spend $9.99 a month or $99.99 a year for a premium subscription that offers extensive high video resolution, animated stickers, emojis, etc
- Discord has almost 19 million active servers per week
- Servers like Fortnite, Valorant, Minecraft, etc. are some of the servers with more than 800,000 members
- Each Discord server can host 25000 online members at a time
- $483.8 Million funding has been raised
- An average US Discord user spends 9 minutes a day on the platform
- As of now, the value of Discord is approximately $15 billion
The Vision Behind Discord
According to Jason and Stan, The technology was complex. Still, the goal was simple: In Discord, there is no competition between people for likes and comments, there are no newsreels or video reels, and no algorithm decides user favorites.
Discord is established as the medium that can connect friends and communities. It’s a place where people can interact seamlessly despite getting exploited by marketing tactics.
What Are the Advantages of Using Discord?
Discord allows users to communicate using
1. Text sessions
2. Video calls
3. Voice calls
4. Private sessions as wells as groups known as “servers.”
It is effortless to share media files in Discord from mobile phones or desktops. The app is consistent and regularly updated based on the user experience.
Discord has a good chat interface that supports emojis and GIFs. Also, this application is entirely Ad-free!
This article concentrates on the statistics achieved by Discord over the years and its current demand.
What Are the Security Features in Discord?
The Discord app comes with plenty of user customizations in privacy and security. Let’s check out some of the major security features in Discord.
1. Unlike other VoIP applications, Discord secures the user’s IP location, personal data and has an auto-encryption technique that protects the user chats.
2. The discord app is designed in such a way that, in case of an unexpected server failure, the user is automatically connected to another server. This prevents the data loss issue.
3. The backend servers of Discord are protected with DDoS. The automatic failover mechanism overcomes server issues.
Yearly Revenue Growth of Discord
In 2019, statistics show that the yearly revenue of Discord was 45 million. And in 2020 it reached 135 Million, that is more than double compared to the previous year!
Let us have a graphic representation of these statistics to show the growth of Discord.
How Does Discord Maintain Performance?
It was essential to ensure that Discord usage never compromises the computer’s CPU performance, impacting the gaming experience.
Discord allows the user to play games at the highest FPS rate possible.
The technique that Discord uses to ensure efficiency even while updating more features is called “code-splitting,” which loads only the required code at the moment.
This technique allows the application to update new features, add languages and polish the necessary features without compromising the performance.
Also, the servers of Discord are distributed around the world, by which the user can access the nearest server effectively.
How Many People Use Discord?
In 2020, usage statistics show that around 300 million users registered an account on Discord, of which about 120 million were active users. That number of active users is now at least 150 million.
Let’s check out the year-wise growth of registered users and active users in Discord.
Discord was selected as the substitute when the Government’s official application for distance learning failed in France.
This action helped Discord to climb into the top ten apps downloaded in the country. Discord is still standing inside the top 50 most downloaded apps in the UK, US, and France.
Funding Statistics of Discord
$982.6 Million is the total amount raised by Discord as the Series H round of Venture Captial funding completed on September 2021.
Twenty-seven enterprises have invested in Discord that includes Sony Interactive Entertainment.
The table below shows the Series-wise fundraising progress of Discord since 2016.
|Date||VC Funding Round||Amount Raised(in millions)|
|September 2021||Series H||$500M|
|December 2020||Series H||$100M|
|June 2020||Series G||$100M|
|December 2018||Series F||$150M|
|April 2018||Series E||$50M|
|January 2017||Series D||$50M|
|January 2016||Series C||$20M|
What Is the Market Value of Discord?
Technology giant Microsoft Corp offered Discord an acquisition price of around $12 billion but was rejected eventually by the company like many other acquisition attempts.
There are reports that the company is still in demand from Epic Games, Twitter, Amazon, etc. After the last fundraising of $500 million, the current market value of Discord has reached $15 billion.
Let’s have a look at the timeline of Discord’s market value growth over the past 6 years.
What Are the Future Plans of Discord?
In 2020 Discord changed their slogan to “Your place to talk” and announced that they are stepping down from video gaming to focus on building an all-purpose communication application.
The pandemic lockdown situation invited a lot of people apart from gamers to the platform.
Discord has got an $18 billion offer from Amazon and Twitter, which the company hasn’t yet declined. Sony’s PlayStation and Discord have agreed to work together since early 2022.
Also, they are thinking about various methods to increase the revenue.
Some futuristic plans are creating small video games in which users can purchase different things, collaborating with media influencers and artists to create public events with tickets, and taking a cut from the earnings.
Discord, like many other booming startups, has to face tough competition from its rivals. That includes Facebook, Clubhouse, Reddit, Slack, Telegram, etc.
They have to answer the “socially responsible activists” who are concerned about the influence of video gaming on teenagers.